Friday 16 September
- Saturday 17 September 2016
Exposing the hidden underbelly of the modern workplace
This two day conference, organised by Blacklist Support Group (BSG) and the Work & Employment Research Unit (WERU) at the University of Greenwich supported by New Internatinalist and Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust, will reveal and discuss the hidden injuries of the modern workplace which are often neglected by mainstream media and academia.
Plenary sessions and workshops will consider the blacklisting and victimisation of activists and the treatment of whistleblowers, who have both highlighted corporate malpractice in the private sector and failures in public service provision. They will also consider the modern workplace tyranny of performance management where workers are bullied by intense monitoring and measurement of their work, with potentially discriminatory effects on disabled, Black and Minority Ethnic, migrant, women and older and younger workers.
A key aim will be to explore the different and interlocking ways in which surveillance and intensified control operate; in the workplace, in employment and in relation to community campaigns and civil rights activism.
The conference brings together academics, politicians, lawyers and activists with a view to inputting into the formulation of a programme of policy and action that can restore workplace rights and fairness at work.
- John McDonnell MP – Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
- John Hendy QC – Institute of Employment Rights (IER)
- Helen Steel – blacklisted McLibel activist, Spies Out of Lives
- Gail Cartmail – Assistant General Secretary, UNITE the union
- Roger McKenzie – Assistant General Secretary , UNISON
- Donna Guthrie & Zita Holbourne – Black Activists Rising Against Cuts (BARAC)
- Professor Sian Moore – University of Greenwich (WERU)
- Professor Keith Ewing – Kings College London (IER)
- Professor Phil Taylor – University of Strathclyde
- Phil Chamberlain – author 'Blacklisted', University of West of England
- Shamik Dutta – Bhatt Murphy solicitors for victims of undercover policing
- Dave Smith – Blacklist Support Group
- Dr Minh Alexander – NHS Whistleblower & former consultant psychiatrist
- Suresh Grover – The Monitoring Group
- Michelle Stanistreet – General Secretary, National Union of Journalists
- Amanda Brown – Assistant General Secretary, National Union of Teachers
- Dr Wim Vandekerckhove – University of Greenwich
- Professor David Lewis – Middlesex University
- Eileen Chubb – Bupa7, Compassion In Care & The Whistler
- Wendy Addison – Speakup-Speakout
- David Renton – barrister, Garden Court Chambers
- Gerry Burns – PCS branch secretary, Ministry of Defence, Glasgow
- Michelle Sweeney – Whistleblower & former probation officer Merseyside
- Eveline Lubbers – Undercover Research Group
- Lois Austin – Campaign Opposing Police Surveillance
- Margaret Lynch- Whistleblower Education & Social Care, Glasgow
Friday 16th September - Saturday 17th September 2016
University of Greenwich, Stephen Lawrence Building, Old Royal Naval College, 30 Park Row, London SE10 9LS.
The conference preliminary programme can be found here. Please note this is subject to change.
Friday 16th September 2016- Blacklisting Victory Party, Students Union Greenwich (Cooper Building. This social event is free and open to all but registration is essential.
This conference is free for all. Registration is essential.
Book your place
Registration is essential. Book your place here.