- Are you a budding mathematician who loves working with numbers? What does it take to become a chief financial officer?
- This degree has professional accreditations such as CIMA and ACCA, increasing your career potential within accountancy
- Study a degree ranked within the top 3 in London for student satisfaction for its accounting and finance subjects (Complete University Guide 2017).
Want to start your degree in September?
Register now for Fast Track Clearing for guaranteed accommodation and application support.
3 years full time
6 years part time
4 years sandwich programme
Our degree will help you understand financial and management accounting, and how it affects planning, decision making and budget control.
The courses will give you confidence in analysing and communicating information, so you can explain concepts and manage new projects. This will develop your core skills so you can choose to take your career in any direction.
You will also learn to prepare financial reports and use software and systems. You will build these practical skills in lab exercises using MS Excel, SAP ERP 6.0 and SAGE 50 Accounts software.
If you successfully complete relevant course options, you will be exempt from a number of exam papers leading to professional qualifications from ACCA, AIA, CIMA, CIPFA, CPA Australia, ICAEW and IFA. This will set you on the path to becoming a qualified accountant after university.
You will have the option to undertake a work placement, providing the insight and practical skills that employers seek in graduates. Previous university students have secured placement years at Lawrence Grant solicitors, IBM, Northern Trust, Goldman Sachs and Currency Exchange Corporations Ltd.
We have strong connections with the City and companies in Canary Wharf, the financial centres in London. This offers you networking, mentoring and internship opportunities, making it a perfect location to start your career.
Our Greenwich Employability Passport scheme recognises and rewards your participation in additional activities such as part-time work, volunteering, student societies or industry guest lectures.
We will encourage you to join societies such as Trading and Investment and take part in student competitions like the UK Trading Challenge. We are proud that our team of first year Greenwich students won the competition, beating teams from many other universities.
Our accounting and finance subjects at the University of Greenwich are ranked:
- Third in London for student satisfaction in the Complete University Guide 2017
- Third in London for course satisfaction in the Guardian University Guide 2016.
This degree aims to:
- Prepare you for a career in the accountancy and finance sector
- Equip you with the skills required for a complex and changing business environment.
What you'll study
Please note: Entry requirements may change during Clearing.
Applicants should have:
300 UCAS points
FROM at least two A-levels or equivalent qualifications
PLUS at least GCSE mathematics grade B and GCSE English grade C.
- Key Skills: Application of Number and Communication are not accepted in place of GCSE mathematics and English
- Applicants with professional qualifications and/or four or more years' full-time work experience are considered on an individual basis
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language require IELTS 6 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent in a Secure English Language Test.
For more information, UK and EU applicants can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8331 9000.
International applicants can contact email@example.com or +44 (0)20 8331 8136.
What people say
"The University of Greenwich played a big role in where I am today. I learnt a lot of the necessary skills that I needed in the workplace."
BA Hons Accounting and Finance
"I think university has changed me greatly I never thought I'd be as integrated into the university as I am now so I'm very happy to be taking part in all these activities."
BA Hons Accounting and Finance
Students are assessed through:
Successful completion (with the relevant options) provides exemption from:
- All 9 foundation-level papers of ACCA
- Papers 1-12 of the 16 AIA papers
- All 5 certificate-level papers and 4 of the 6 managerial-level CIMA papers
- 7 out of the 12 CIPFA papers
- 7 out of 15 professional qualification papers of the ICAEW.
- Full exemption from the Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA) papers.
Students who complete the sandwich year (work placement) may gain an additional qualification, the Diploma of Professional Experience (DPE).
Graduates entering the accountancy profession may go into public practice by joining an accountancy firm. This can offer you the experience of working with multiple clients across various industries or the opportunity to specialise, for example, in auditing, stockbroking or consultancy.
Recent positions secured by our graduates include assurance associate at Grant Thornton, financial modeller at KPMG and counter risk trader at Barclays Investment Bank.
The Business School has a dedicated Employability Office to assist students in securing a placement during their sandwich year. Working with over 200 companies they also offer a range of internships, mentoring schemes and networking opportunities.
Find out more about our careers and employability support.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
The university's largest campus is centred on three baroque buildings designed by Sir Christopher Wren at the end of the 17th century.
DLR Cutty Sark (approx. 3 min walk)
Greenwich and Maze Hill (approx. 8 walk)
Greenwich Pier - Ferry service (3 min walk)
TFL buses frequently run close by.
Public 'Pay and display' car parks nearby.
Campus bus service every half hour between campuses.
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us