B208 M BSc/PharS (Extended)
Our extended degree is a 4-year programme. In the first year we teach you the baseline academic skills to excel in your degree.
Find out more
3 years full time
5 years part time
This programme has been developed as a result of the university's close contacts with the pharmaceutical industry and prepares students for working in higher scientific grades in the industry. While this degree does not carry any exemption from Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain examinations, graduates gaining employment in the pharmaceutical industry may be able to progress to qualified person status through further professional development. Graduates are eligible for the award of Associate Membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide students with a knowledge of the physiological and pharmacological basis of drugs action, drug discovery and development, instrumental analysis of drug substances and the formulation of active pharmaceutical ingredients
- To provide knowledge and skills for the critical analysis of scientific data derived from laboratory observations and experiments in the context of pharmaceutically active ingredients
- To prepare you for work within the pharmaceutical industry (and/or research institutions, governmental or private laboratories), further studies (MSc/PhD), or a teaching/academic career by developing the necessary transferable and problem-solving skills through a variety of teaching-learning processes.
What you'll study
Applicants from a UK educational background:
112 UCAS points from A-levels, including chemistry at grade C or above. No more than 24 points should come from AS-levels with preference for science. You will also need GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, mathematics and a science. You will be required to attend an interview.
We will also accept:
- Alternative qualifications including BTEC and National Diploma
- Appropriate qualifications such as an HNC, HND or foundation degree can be considered for entry into this degree in Year 2 or later.
General science is not accepted for this degree.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8331 9000.
Applicants from a non-UK educational background:
Applicants must have successfully completed 12 years of full time education, and demonstrated competence in mathematics (usually equivalent to GCSE grade C). You will be required to attend an interview.
If you were educated in a language other than English and/or in a country where English speakers are in a minority, you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent. If you require a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK, your score must be from a UK Visas and Immigration approved IELTS test.
For more information, contact email@example.com or +44 (0)20 8331 8136.
We welcome applications from mature students.
Students are assessed through examinations and coursework, including practical project work.
Graduates can find work in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries (production development, analytical science, quality assurance and information science), research and development, teaching, forensic science, environmental pollution and health and safety.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
A recently modernised, splendid Edwardian redbrick and ivy-clad campus based at Chatham Maritime, Kent.
Chatham Station (approx. 5 min by bus)
Gillingham Station (approx. 20 min walk / 10 min by bus)
Free parking is available for motorbikes and scooters. Public car parks nearby.
From Gatwick Airport take the National Express 270 coach service.
Campus bus service between campuses.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us