- Our degree is accredited by the profession
- Offers a unique opportunity to train in an NHS laboratory for a year
- Provides a foundation in human disease
- Focuses on real life clinical case studies to enhance understanding
4 years sandwich programme
This programme is designed to provide a knowledge base in biomedical science and provide opportunities for graduates to work in the NHS Biomedical Science sector. The programme is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
Those applying for the degree will initially register on the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science programme, with opportunities for progression onto the BSc (Hons) Applied Biomedical Science degree at the end of Year 2. During Year 2, students will be informed of hospital placements and asked to formally apply for a placement. If successful, they will be provided with an IBMS registration training portfolio to be completed during their placement year. BSc (Hons) Applied Biomedical Science graduates who have been issued with the IBMS Certificate of Competence will be able to apply for registration with the regulatory body, the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
The aims of the programme are:
- To advance students' academic, professional and laboratory skills for current and future employment in medical diagnostic and research environments
- To develop relevant knowledge and understanding for the application of theory to practice, and to develop appropriate transferable skills in the use of information technology, communication, numeracy, problem-solving and case study analysis as applicable to biomedical science.
What you'll study
Applicants from a UK educational background:
112 UCAS points from A-levels, including biology and chemistry at grade C or above. No more than 24 points should come from AS-levels including science. You will also need GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, mathematics and a science. You will be required to attend an interview.
We will also accept:
- Alternative qualifications including BTEC and National Diploma
- Appropriate qualifications such as an HNC, HND or foundation degree can be considered for entry into this degree in Year 2 or later.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8331 9000.
Applicants from a non-UK educational background:
Applicants must have successfully completed 12 years of full time education, and demonstrated competence in mathematics (usually equivalent to GCSE grade C). You will be required to attend an interview.
If you were educated in a language other than English and/or in a country where English speakers are in a minority, you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent. If you require a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK, your score must be from a UK Visas and Immigration approved IELTS test.
For more information, contact email@example.com or +44 (0)20 8331 8136.
We welcome applications from mature students.
Students are assessed through formal examinations, presentations and case study-based reports, together with critical evaluation of data, laboratory reports and a project.
The programme is officially accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
You will acquire the necessary academic, professional and laboratory skills for current and future employment as a Biomedical Scientist in medical diagnostic and research environments.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us