Want to start your degree in September?
Register now for Fast Track Clearing for guaranteed accommodation and application support.
3 years full time
This programme is based on BSc Hons Sports Science programme but approximately a quarter of the content is focused on football coaching. The programme provides a strong background in the current disciplines of sports science. This will enable you to analyse and evaluate sporting performance, particularly football. At the end of your degree, you should have the knowledge and skills required to operate effectively in a range of sports- and exercise-related careers, particularly in relation to football.
During all three years of the degree students will have the opportunity of a structured internship with Charlton Athletic FC in either coaching or sport science.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with a rigorous academic and practical knowledge base in sports science, performance analysis and coaching in football
- To develop your knowledge of coaching theory and practice, sports nutrition, biomechanics, anatomy, physiology and psychology
- To provide you with comprehensive practical experience for working with, assessing and coaching football players
- To enable you to develop professional and reflective skills through a variety of stimulating and varied learning environments. You can build on these throughout your professional life, enhancing your self-reflection, critical thinking skills and independent learning.
What you'll study
Please note: Entry requirements may change during Clearing.
Applicants from a UK educational background:
260 UCAS points
From two or more science A-levels, for example from biology, sports science, physical education, human biology, mathematics, physics (or similar). You will also need GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, mathematics and a science. You will be required to attend an interview.
We will also accept:
- Alternative qualifications including BTEC and National Diploma
- Appropriate qualifications such as an HNC, HND or foundation degree can be considered for entry into this degree in Year 2 or later
- We recommend that you gain a Level 1 coaching award before starting your degree.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8331 9000.
Applicants from a non-UK educational background:
Applicants must have successfully completed 12 years of full time education, and demonstrated competence in mathematics (usually equivalent to GCSE grade C). You will be required to attend an interview. We recommend that you gain a Level 1 coaching award before starting your degree.
If you were educated in a language other than English and/or in a country where English speakers are in a minority, you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent. If you require a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK, your score must be from a UK Visas and Immigration approved IELTS test.
For more information, contact email@example.com or +44 (0)20 8331 8136.
We welcome applications from mature students.
Students are assessed through:
- Project reports.
This degree has enabled graduates to work in areas such as football coaching, sports science support, sports development, and health education and promotion. You may become self-employed as, for example, a personal trainer or sports adviser or continue on to postgraduate programmes in areas such as teaching, physiotherapy or research.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
A recently modernised, splendid Edwardian redbrick and ivy-clad campus based at Chatham Maritime, Kent.
Chatham Station (approx. 5 min by bus)
Gillingham Station (approx. 20 min walk / 10 min by bus)
Free parking is available for motorbikes and scooters. Public car parks nearby.
From Gatwick Airport take the National Express 270 coach service.
Campus bus service between campuses.
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us