The BA (Hons) in Professional Dance and Musical Theatre is validated by the University of Greenwich and is designed to offer students the chance to develop high levels of performance skills. Students engage with a range of dance disciplines, as well as the closely related genres of singing, musical theatre and acting. This is set within the context of a demanding programme of academic study. This approach aims to relate theory to practice, informing the development of the artist's personal vision, and enhancing lifelong skills and employment opportunities within the professional world.
Throughout the three years, students are encouraged to be versatile and to critically appraise their own performance as they grow in confidence and maturity. During the final year, students specialise in major performances both in Dance and Musical Theatre and engage in an independent project, which can combine practical and written work. The College is justifiably proud of the success of past students, tracking and recording their career development and celebrating their success.
This course is for anyone who has relevant experience and demonstrates the potential to be a successful professional dancer, and musical theatre artist.
On successful completion of the programme students will have gained relevant dance, acting and musical theatre skills to embark on a professional career in the arts and related industries.
The aims of the programme are:
- You will develop your artistic and academic potential in a culturally supportive setting
- In each course of study you will gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of your own strengths and expertise in dance and musical theatre in relation to the demands of the profession you aim to join.
- You will be provided with opportunities to gain a theoretical understanding and critical awareness of the key performance skills which include dance, singing and acting. You will also learn to work effectively both independently and as part of a team and acquire transferable skills.
- As a graduate of this degree your expertise in the various forms of performance will allow you to compete in the ever-changing landscape of performance. You will become a thoughtful, versatile and highly skilful performer who will sustain a long career in the various facets of the Musical Theatre and Dance industry.
The programme is provided by the University of Greenwich and undertaken at Bird College.
What you'll study
Applicants should have:
- 64 UCAS points
- Minimum of two A-levels at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications OR one A-level and an equivalent further education qualification
- Previous experience in dance and musical theatre is normally expected, and practical ability is assessed at audition.
Students are assessed through:
- Practical Class,
- Continuous assessment,
- course work ,
Performing, Teaching and Administration within the arts and related industries. Graduates are prepared for careers as performers for West End theatre, cruise ships, cabaret and pop videos, Musical Theatre, TV, UK and International Touring Productions, Cruise Ships, Dance Companies.
It also provides preparation for becoming a dance teacher.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.