See the commonly asked questions about student fees and finance at the University of Greenwich.

We understand that you may have questions following the UK's departure from the European Union. We are currently in the process of updating our advice for EU nationals. If you have any questions you can contact

Tuition fees

How do I know how much my tuition fees will be?

Fees are published online each academic year. Maximum undergraduate tuition fee levels are set annually by the UK Government. For details of our tuition fee rates please visit:

Paying tuition fees

Full details on how to pay tuition fees are available at 'How to pay'.

Discount on tuition fees

If I pay my fees in full at registration, can I get a discount?

Academic Year 2019/20 

A prompt payment discount will be applied when full fees are paid as follows:

September Intake

January Intake

Full fees must be paid by the last day of September 2019

Full fees must be paid by the last day of January 2020

If your course begins at another time of the year, the discount applies if fees are paid within four weeks of the start of the course.

The discount applies only to tuition fees once any other discounts have been deducted. It does not apply if your payment is arranged via a tuition fee loan.

Applying for student loans

Where can I get more information on student loans?

Student Finance England has information and guides on how to apply for undergraduate student support and Postgraduate Loans. All students can make their application online.

For more information, visit Student Finance England.

Tuition fee loan amount

What should I do if I have requested the wrong loan amount?

Log in to your online Student Finance England account and use 'Make a change to your application'.

Where this is not possible, contact Student Finance England to make any necessary reapplication or course changes.

Tuition fee refunds

When am I eligible to get a refund on my tuition fees?

You may be entitled to a refund if you withdraw or interrupt from your course and this complies with the university's withdrawal/interruption policy and refund policy.

If you believe you are entitled to a refund, contact us at

International students may also qualify for a refund of a deposit in certain circumstances. You should contact the International Office with any enquiries regarding refunds.

Any refunds due will be returned to the original payee, such as Student Finance England via BACS transfer.

Withdrawal or interruption from my course

Where can I get information on withdrawing from or interrupting my course?

See withdrawal and interruption of studies. Speak with your Personal Tutor prior to begin the process.

You should also seek advice from Student Finance, as withdrawing or interrupting your course will affect your access to student support in the future.

Useful resources

Do you have any resources I can use for budgeting, etc?

Yes, we have useful resources, information and interactive tools to help you plan and manage your money. This can be found in our Money Advice section.

Financial difficulties

Does the university offer support if I am having financial difficulties?

Yes, you may be able to apply to the Access to Learning Fund.

Email us at for further advice. We can make an appointment for you if necessary.