This course is not recruiting.

Foundation degrees 2023/24

Health and Social Care (Care) | HE | University of Greenwich Foundation Degree

This course is designed to bring higher education and care services together to ensure that the needs of employees and employers are addressed.

The advantage of such a qualification is that it has been developed collaboratively with employers, professionals and institutions. It is vocationally relevant and designed to meet the needs of a diverse workforce. It is a full-time course offered in partnership with the University of Greenwich.

The FdSc Health and Social Care (Care) is aimed at care workers who already work with professionals in health, social services, early years or similar sectors. Developed with relevant employers, professionals and institutions, modules cover business resource management, ethics of care, mental health, and care practice in the community.

Once you have successfully completed the course, you'll have a number of career options open to you, or you can apply to be fast-tracked into the third year of the BA Hons Health and Social Care.

Course closed

This course is now closed to all new applications.

This course is closed and no longer accepting new applications.

View our alternative courses.


2 years full-time

Start month


Home fees 2023/24


What you should know about this course

  • The course is offered by one of the university's partner colleges, London South East Colleges, on its Orpington Campus.
  • Upon completion, you will be awarded FdSc Health and Social Care (Care) .

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

London South East Colleges (LSEC)

The course is offered by one of the university's partner colleges.

London South East Colleges (LSEC) has a dedicated University Centre offering university students small class sizes, flexible learning, and high-quality teaching.

About the course team

You will be taught by an academic team that consists of highly qualified academics with a range of expertise and experience.  All our team members hold teaching qualifications and some hold master’s qualifications.  All have experience in delivering research-informed teaching.

Entry requirements

Course closed

This course is now closed to all new applications.
  • GCSE English at A* - C / 9 - 4 or Level 2 equivalent At least 1 A level or Level 3 equivalent in a care related subject such as Access to Health and Social Care You must be working (either paid or voluntary) in a relevant setting for 15 hours per week Enhanced DBS clearance. We will accept T Levels for entry onto our higher education courses, providing they meet our entry requirements
  • If you do not have the above UCAS/GCSE requirements but you are a mature student, have appropriate experience, specific knowledge or industry-based qualifications, your application will be welcomed and still considered on case to case basis.
  • Work part time/ voluntary in relevant setting – 15hrs/week
  • Accept T Levels for entry onto HE courses, providing they meet the entry requirements
  • A mature student with appropriate experience, specific knowledge or industry-based qualifications will also be considered

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

Further information about entry

  • An interview including a written English test
  • Mature students without formal qualifications may be considered as a result of life and work experience following an entry test
  • You may need to have GCSE Maths at A* - C or level 2 equivalent for further study or employment and so we recommend you take one of this alongside the course if you cannot evidence it already
  • You will need to be able to identify a mentor in your setting

For further information please contact or 020 3954 4000.

Available to overseas students?


Can I use Prior Learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn

The following data is based on the compulsory modules for this programme.


In a typical week learning takes place through a combination of:

Learning takes place through a combination of timetabled learning and independent study.

You can view more information about how each module is taught within our 'What you will study' section.

Seminars and workshops enable you to discuss and develop your understanding of topics covered in lectures in smaller groups. You will also be able to meet your personal tutor. Timetabled learning may fall between 9am and 9pm depending on your courses and tutorials.

Class sizes

Class sizes vary by module. Lectures are normally attended by larger groups, and seminars/tutorials by smaller groups. This can vary more widely for modules that are shared between degrees. All students will have opportunities for 1-to-1 time with their tutors.

Independent learning

Outside of timetabled sessions, you are also expected to dedicate around 30 hours a week to self-study. This may involve further reading and research, preparing coursework and presentations, and preparing for tests and exams. Our facilities are designed to support you in these activities.

We encourage you to join societies and participate in sporting and other activities to engage in the wider life of the university community.

Overall workload

You are expected to engage with wider reading and research in your own time. This will involve a minimum of 15 hrs per week to link theory and practice throughout each module and you will draw directly upon your work based experiences for specific assignments such as work based learning. Each 15 credit module is made up of 30 hours teaching usually over a 10 -12 week period. You will be studying more than one module at once so will need to be quite organised in your study skills and file management.


Students are assessed through a combination of assessment methods depending on the modules chosen.

You can view how each module is assessed within our 'What you will study' section.

Each course has formal assessments which count towards your grade. Some courses may also include 'practice' assignments, which help you monitor progress and do not count towards your final grade.

Feedback summary

We aim to provide feedback on assignments and to release examination results within 15 working days.

Dates and timetables

The academic year runs from September to June.

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

Full time Part time Distance learning
Home TBC N/A N/A

Funding your study

There is a range of financial support options available to support your studies, including the Aspire@Greenwich award for study resources that many full-time students will receive.

Discover more about grants, student loans, bursaries and scholarships. We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Additional costs include:
  • Text Books
  • Travel to other sites
  • Library Fees and Fines
  • Printing and photocopying
  • Graduation ceremonies

Careers and placements

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

Successful completion of the degree results in progression onto a relevant 'top up' programme such as the BA Hons Health and Social Care at the University of Greenwich. This course does not provide progression to the BA in Social Work or Nursing degrees.

Do you provide employability services?

The Employability & Careers Service (ECS) is committed to supporting our students and recent graduates in their transition towards a rewarding graduate destination. We strive to deliver a professional service with the aim of empowering our students to achieve their potential.

We provide the following:

  • CV and cover letter checks
  • Application support
  • One-to-one careers advice
  • Interview tips and support
  • Careers fairs
  • Internships
  • Graduate jobs.

More about careers

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

Developing your academic skills is embedded in your programme lecturers.  Lecturers will discuss assignments and study skills and you will have access to tutorial support.We also have a Learning Resource Centre with access to extra support materials as well as experienced library staff that understand the academic needs of, HE students.

Support from the department

If you do have additional needs, then we have an Additional Learning Support team that will be able to support you.  We also advise you to speak directly tutors about any additional support you feel that you need so that they signpost you to the correct areas.

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our foundation degrees or check our related courses below.....

Health and social care at the University of Greenwich

You’ll learn from our expert, research-active tutors and be well supported during your work placement. You’ll benefit from great job prospects thanks to our strong links with NHS trusts and social care providers.

Visit our health and social care degrees page.

A comprehensive guide to our new physiotherapy course with Mark Dayson

Embark on an exhilarating path with our latest BSc Hons Physiotherapy course. This hands-on, practical course readies you for the clinical realm through immersive practice placements and beyond.

Public health at the University of Greenwich

These courses are perfect if you’re passionate about helping people and want a career improving the health and wellbeing of individuals and their communities. Our research-active academics will support you throughout your studies.

Visit our public health degrees page.

Public Health at the University of Greenwich

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study part-time, you can now apply through clearing via any of the following channels:

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply through our website, one of our agents, or the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply through our website, one of our agents, or the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.