Tier 4 (General) student visas are institution specific. If you are currently in the UK and are studying or have been studying at another institution, you will need to apply for a new Tier 4 visa to study with us.

Extending or switching your Tier 4 student visa in the UK

You will not be able to register or attend the University of Greenwich unless your visa is for the University of Greenwich, or you have already made an application to extend your visa for the University.

Before you apply, you should read the Tier 4 (General) student visa information provided by the Home Office, in particular the policy guidance document setting out the precise requirements of a Tier 4 (General) student visa application.

It is extremely important that you make preparations for your visa in advance; you must apply to extend your Tier 4 visa (Leave to Remain) before your current visa expires and we recommend you should begin preparing your application at least three months before your visa expiry date.


  • You will need to have obtained your confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the International Office, and ensure you have your documents that are listed in your CAS.
  • If an ATAS Clearance Certificate is required for your programme, you will need to include it in your visa application.
  • You must ensure that you (or your parents in certain allowable circumstances) have maintained the required funds for the requested time period and not dropped below this amount during that time. You will need to provide recent bank statements which are no more than one month old on the date that you submit your application.
  • When do you apply: when making a Tier 4 application from inside the UK, you can apply when your sponsor has assigned a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to you. It is suggested that, if possible, you apply during the last 3 months of your current permission to stay. You must apply no later than 6 months after your CAS has been assigned, or it will become invalid.
  • The Where to apply from inside the UK pages on the Home Office website tell you how and where you can apply.

To help you prepare your Tier 4 visa application you can also refer to the guidelines on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website which helps to simplify and explain the immigration rules.

If you are a current University of Greenwich student, and need help with your visa or immigration issues, our International Student Advice Service (ISAS) can help you.