United States of America

The University of Greenwich welcomes students from the USA on its programmes. View the entry requirements and contact us for further information.


Our Greenwich Campus in London is on a UNESCO World Heritage Site on the banks of the Thames. On this breathtaking campus our Colleges of Business and Humanities & Design Sciences are located.  The site's London location benefits from close proximity to the financial district and all of London's creative industries from film and the media to technology and museums.

At our Avery Hill Campus, south-east London, you will find the College of Education and Health. Finally, our Medway Campus, in Kent, is home to the College of Engineering and Science.

Each campus provides modern teaching and learning facilities, including libraries, computers and laboratories in beautiful historic buildings.

We have a large number of Study Abroad, Undergraduate, Graduate and Research programmes and actively encourage transfer students from community colleges.

Why study at Greenwich?

Cost, duration and healthcare

  • Undergraduate degrees are just three years long and graduate degrees are just one year long in the UK.
  • Whether you are studying for one year or three, each year you study with us should cost you approximately $29,000, including fees AND living expenses.

Cultural experience

  • London and the south-east of England offer a wealth of resources and opportunities for part-time work, making friends and experiencing another culture in an English speaking country. Over a third of all Americans studying in the UK are in London and the south-east.
  • All three of our campuses benefit from excellent transport links. Greenwich and Avery Hill Campuses are well connected by bus and train to all of the sights and attractions of central London, and Medway Campus is just a 45-minute train journey away. The whole country is open to you through high-speed train links to virtually all the major cities and Europe.
  • Ranked best university in London for teaching excellence by the Sunday Times University Guide 2011.


Most of our American students have a Federal Loan (FAFSA) and Greenwich is an active participant. Read more on our dedicated pages about the Federal Student Aid Programme.

Entry requirements

Undergraduate degrees

High School Diploma with 3.0 CGPA plus one of the following:

  • ACT with score of 24 or higher


  • For SATs taken prior to 2016: around 1650 across each of the three sections. For some programmes such as our Science degrees we also require 550+ in SAT subject tests such as Biology.
  • If your programme does not strictly require SAT subject tests, but you have taken them in the US please do send your results to us -  as any relevant qualifications will strengthen your entire application.
  • For SATs taken post 2016: around 1050 across each of the three sections. For some programmes such as our Science degrees we also require 550+ in SAT subject tests such as Biology.
  • If your programme does not strictly require SAT subject tests, but you have taken them in the US please do send your results to us -  as any relevant qualifications will strengthen your entire application.


  • AP: Grade 4 or above in at least two Advanced Placement Tests

Transfer students with an Associate Degree or equivalent

If you are, or will be a holder of a 2 year Associate degree we will consider your application with a CGPA of 2.8+.  We will also consider students who have completed the first 2 years of a regular 4 year degree for credit transfer.

Graduate degrees

For application onto our Master's programmes, you will need to have a four year degree from a regionally accredited institution, with a CGPA of 3.0.

Certain programmes have additional application requirements. For example, some MBA programmes require relevant work experience after graduation; and applicants for Architecture and Cinematography need to submit a portfolio of their work.

The above scores represent minimum academic requirements and these in themselves do not guarantee satisfying full entry requirements to a programme. In particular, major courses and advanced level subjects studied, and individual GPA scores may be important for admission.

Study Abroad Programme

The university has extensive provision for students wishing to study for one semester or a year at Greenwich. You can transfer credits back to your home institution in the USA and gain international experience within your current US undergraduate degree. In particular, our Schools of Business and Humanities are popular for short term study abroad students. For more details read about our Study Abroad programme.

Study Abroad Programme entry requirements

You need to be able to produce a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale (or an equivalent score in a similar recognised system) for all courses except those in the Schools of Engineering, Architecture & Construction and Computing & Mathematical Sciences, which require a minimum GPA of 3.0.


Our undergraduate and graduate degrees are actively designed to improve your skills for employment.

Furthermore, through studying in the UK, you will be able to demonstrate an international perspective and other skill sets: communicating with people from a range of backgrounds, the ability to adapt to new environments.  Employers seek people with overseas experience.

A recent survey of firms across the USA, conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs, revealed that:

  • 56% of HR recruiters considered degrees earned in the UK equal to  and 17% considered them higher than equivalent degrees earned in the US. Of the firms with over 999 employees included in the surveyed, nearly one in five (19%) ranked a UK degree higher than a US one, and over half (55%) considered them equal.
  • Furthermore, when recruiters were asked to select which countries (not including the US) degree courses they feel produce the best applicants for employment, the UK ranked first above all other countries at 31%.
  • Specifically, employers noted they associate Americans with UK degrees at an advantage because of their 'understanding of international/emerging markets' and 'tolerance for other people's cultures and opinions'.

If you are studying on any of our programmes with a duration of 6 months or more, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during the vacations. The university's JobShop can help you find work and provides advice on employment issues.


There are similarities and differences in the US and UK university application processes. Understanding some of these will help to ensure a smooth application for you:

  • There is no application fee at the University of Greenwich. You apply to the university directly and should have a response within 2 weeks of application.
  • Our application process for degree programmes is completely electronic and after typing your details, you will go through stages where you will upload your scanned documents.
  • As with the US system, we require recent transcripts, a personal statement and 2 academic references
  • The British academic year runs from mid-September – June. All of our programs start in September but a number of our graduate programmes have a January start.
  • You may apply up to us up until the summer before your programme starts – or November if you are applying for a January start. However, you are strongly advised to apply in good time since you will need to consider applying for accommodation and your student visa.
  • We prioritise accommodation allocation for international students only until late spring. Students who apply for accommodation by the summer deadline are guaranteed an offer of university accommodation if you are studying with us for a minimum of one academic year.
  • You may apply before you have all of your grades/results and we can issue a 'conditional offer', meaning we promise to hold a place for you on condition you complete your current course of studies at a specified level.
  • Remember that when listing dates, in the UK we use the Day / Month / Year format. So December 1st 2000 is written as : 01 / 12 / 2000
  • All of our new a students take part in orientation activities for new international students in 'Transition Week'. In the first week you will receive information about registering for a doctor and opening a bank account. In addition, the University's Student's Union organises a "Fresher's Week" which includes a welcome fair showcasing various clubs and societies. There is also a welcome event for American in Fresher's Week and we organise an annual Thanksgiving Dinner in November for our North American students and staff.
  • The University of Greenwich will issue you with an offer letter and guidance on applying for the appropriate type of visa for studying with us in the UK.


As an international fee-paying student, you will probably need a Tier 4 student visa to study with us. The most common reason for not needing a Tier 4 student visa is if you hold an EU passport or are resident in the EU.

Information on how to apply and the requirements for your student visa to study with us can be found on the UK Border Agency website.

Another useful website that gives information on applying for a student visa is UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs)

Some useful points to remember

  • In order to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you will require a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance) number from us.  This is the same as all UK universities.
  • To receive a CAS number from us you would need to be holding an unconditional academic offer and have paid the £3000 deposit (exception to this is if you are applying for a US Federal loan/Sallie Mae loan and are not required to make the payment for the deposit – but you will be advised of this from the International Office/US federal loans team at the University at the time you request for a CAS number from us)
  • An unconditional academic offer means the University of Greenwich does not need you to send us any exam results/transcripts/diplomas etc.
  • You would need to contact the International Office with your full name and Student ID number on to request your CAS number.
  • A CAS number can be issued by the University of Greenwich 6 months before the course start date of the programme but you can only apply for your visa 3 months before the start date of your programme.
  • Original certificates/transcripts of your studies need to be provided when you make your visa application (remember you will also need the originals to show us at registration when you come to Greenwich). The exact academic documents you need to apply for your visa with will be mentioned on your CAS statement.
  • The CAS statement the university sends you is an electronic document which mentions your CAS number.  The CAS number is a virtual number which is only issued electronically.
  • The UKVI considers the Medway campus 'Outside London' and Greenwich and Avery Hill campuses 'In London' for maintenance costs. The UKVI considers the Medway campus 'Outside London' and Greenwich and Avery Hill campuses 'In London' for maintenance costs.  This is the case even though our main campus of Greenwich itself is in inner London, as is our smallest site, Avery Hill.  Geographically, it is only our Faculty of Engineering & Science which is not in inner London.  Proving you have enough in your bank account through personal funds and/or your Federal Loan is an important consideration for your visa application and is explained more thoroughly above.
  • Finally, do ensure you read through the links and guidelines above before applying for a visa, especially in regards to what you need to provide for tuition fees and maintenance.

Contact us

International Office

The International Office is here to assist international students and guide them through the application process. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

Telephone: +44 020 8331 8136

Fax: +44 020 8331 8625


Facebook: University of Greenwich International

Get in touch

Whether you want to find out more about studying at Greenwich or have a query about your eligibility for studying in the UK, we can help.

You can contact us by e-mail, telephone or by completing the contact form on this page.

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8331 8136