Visas and immigration International

The majority of international students studying at the University of Greenwich will require a visa to study. For most international students this will be a Tier 4 (General) student visa. UK student visas are institution specific.

The University of Greenwich holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence and we are listed on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) register as a Tier 4 Sponsor.

It is a student's responsibility to ensure that they are in possession of an appropriate and valid visa to commence their studies with the university.

For official information about the points based system, please refer to the UKVI website.

Information for international applicants is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

If your query is not covered by the above, please e-mail the International Office where we will be happy to assist you.

Do not be a victim of fraud, tricks or scams - if you get an email, telephone call or letter from someone pretending to be the Home Office, please be advised that there is a dedicated webpage on the Home Office website which informs you how to protect yourself and how to report anything suspicious.

Our International Student Advice Service also has information about immigration and visas for international students currently studying at the university.

Confirmation acceptance for studies
This is a 'virtual document' which the university assigns.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
An ATAS Clearance Certificate is required for some postgraduate programmes.

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa scheme
Enables successful graduate applicates to remain in the UK for up to two years.

Tier 4 (General) student visa
Information about applying for a visa from outside the UK and guides on how to extend your visa when you are in the UK.

Frequently asked questions
Access a comprehensive list of FAQs