Tier 4 (General) student visa International

Applying for a visa from outside the UK

If you are outside of the UK and making an application for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa you can obtain guidance and an application on the Home Office (UK Visas and Immigration, UKVI) website.  

Documents you need to send with your application:

  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from the University of Greenwich
  • Any documents, such as academic certificates, that are listed in the CAS
  • An ATAS certificate, if this is required for your programme (we will tell you whether you need an ATAS certificate when we send you your CAS Number).
  • Your bank statements, letter of official financial sponsorship or confirmation of an official loan.
  • Your Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) number.  This is obtained from the UK Government website, and should be included as part of your visa application.

Evidence of funds

You must be able to provide evidence that you have sufficient funds, in addition to your tuition fees, to live in the UK. The UKVI considers our Greenwich and Avery Hill Campuses as "In London" and our Medway Campus as "Outside London".

You must show that you have held this money for a 28 day period, ending no more than one month before your visa applications.

Financial document requirements

Under the current rules, the funds must be held in an account in the name of the student applying for the visa. Funds can also be held in a joint bank account, as long as one of the account holders is the student. In certain circumstances, it may be possible for financial documents from parents to be used.

Detailed information on financial requirements is available on the UKVI website.

Need help?

If you are experiencing problems or need any assistance with your offer or applying for your visa, please contact the International Office and we will do our best to help, or help you find the correct source of information.

We have a Tier 4 Visa Application Guide - Applying from outside of the UK (Entry Clearance) document which provides guidance on applying for your visa.  If you would like a copy, please email us

Extending your visa when in the UK

If you are extending your visa in the UK, you should read Tier 4 (General) student visa information provided by the UKVI, in particular the policy guidance document setting out the precise requirements of a Tier 4 (General) student visa application.