• Why Erasmus?

    Erasmus gives you an opportunity to experience new cultures, meet new people and enhance your CV. Look at our film and the British Council website to find out how students have benefited from Erasmus.

  • Can I go as part of my degree?

    Your Erasmus+ mobility period must be recognised as part of your degree programme. In many cases you will gain credits for your mobility period. If this is not possible, your mobility will be recorded in your Higher Education Academic Record and your student transcript.

  • Is my programme suitable for Erasmus?

    Please contact the Global Mobility Manager or your Faculty Erasmus Coordinator to determine whether your course offers an Erasmus+ opportunity.

  • How do I apply for Erasmus?

    You should begin by having a discussion with your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator, who will explain what options are open to you and tell you about the various partner institutions and how you can apply by the deadlines. 

    You will then need to complete an Erasmus+ Application Form.  If your application is accepted, your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will nominate you to your chosen host institution.  You will then need to apply to the host institution directly.

  • Will I have to pay fees at the host institution?

    No.  As an Erasmus+ student you do not have to pay tuition fees at your host institution.  You will however need to pay for your accommodation and other expenses.  You will also need to pay some or all of your fees to the University of Greenwich.  To find out more about this talk to your Erasmus Co-ordinator and with their help seek guidance on the fees payable from Student Finance.

  • How do I get an Erasmus+ grant?

    If your Erasmus+ application is successful, your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will request a grant on your behalf.  Please be aware, however, that this is a competitive process and grants are not guaranteed for every student. 

    If there are insufficient funds for you to be given a grant, you can still take part in Erasmus+ as a zero-grant student.  Alternatively, you might be awarded a partial grant, which would fund some but not all of your Erasmus+ mobility period.

    You will be asked to sign an Erasmus+ Grant Agreement shortly before your departure.  This will set out the level of grant that you will receive, if any, as well as other terms and conditions of your Erasmus+ mobility.

  • What is the Learning Agreement?

    The Learning Agreement is a document that is signed by you, your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator and the Erasmus+ Coordinator at your host institution.  It sets out the courses that you will study, or the work that you will undertake during your mobility period.  Where applicable, it will also show the number of credits that you will receive for your study or work placement.

    The Learning Agreement is also used to record any changes that need to be made, for example, if your chosen courses are no longer available or there is a timetable clash.  In addition, the Learning Agreement is used to record the outcomes of your mobility period, including the results of any assessments that you have undertaken.

  • Where do I find out more?

    Please contact your Faculty Erasmus Coordinator or the Global Mobility Manager for further details.

  • How do I find accommodation at the host institution?

    Have a look at the host institution's website, as this will often contain information and advice about how to find accommodation.  Alternatively, you could contact the Erasmus+ Coordinator at the host institution and ask them directly.  Your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will be able to give you their contact details.

  • Who makes the travel arrangements?

    You make your own travel arrangements but if you have questions remember you can ask your host Erasmus co-ordinator for advice on the best place to fly to and where the airport is in relation to university accommodation.

  • What about health care?

    UK and EU students should ensure that they have an up to date European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is available free of charge.

    You can also benefit free of charge from the University of Greenwich insurance policy.  Your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will need to register you for the policy, and will also provide you will a policy number and relevant documents.  Make sure that you read the insurance policy carefully, as there are some exclusions.  For example, if your Erasmus+ placement is in your country of origin, you will not be able to benefit from the University of Greenwich health cover (although you will still be covered by other aspects of the policy).

    You should also make sure that you know what to do and who to contact in the event of an emergency in your host country.

  • What other insurance do I need?

    Your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will tell you whether or not your host institution has public liability insurance or equivalent (or employers' liability insurance or equivalent in the case of work placements).  If not, you should consider buying an additional insurance policy to ensure that you are covered while you are working or studying at your host institution.

    Beyond that, it is at the student's discretion whether they wish to augment their insurance coverage through any other private policies.

  • What about health and safety?

    To help you to prepare for your Erasmus+ mobility period we will ask you to complete a Student Checklist.  This will help us to know that you have made appropriate arrangements for your time abroad, and will also prompt you to make those arrangements if you have not yet done so.

    On arrival at your host institution you should make sure that you are aware of the institution's safety procedures, fire drills and exits.  In addition, if you are studying a practical subject such as Science, Engineering or Architecture you will need to carry out a project-based risk assessment.  Your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will advise you about this.

  • How will I know if it is safe to travel to an area?

    We would not recommend for you to undertake an Erasmus placement in an area which we think is unsafe to our knowledge. However, events are unpredictable and difficult situations can develop surprisingly quickly, so we recommend you regularly check the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website and follow the advice they give for your location.

  • Do I have to speak a foreign language in order to participate in Erasmus?

    Not necessarily.  Many of our partner institutions offer courses that are taught in English.  Your Faculty Erasmus+ Coordinator will be able to give you further details about language requirements for a particular institution.

    In some cases, you may be able to study a foreign language at the University of Greenwich as part of your optional studies.  In addition, in some cases (normally for less widely spoken languages), intensive language courses may be offered through Erasmus+ in the summer before your mobility period, to give students an introduction to a new language.  It may also be possible for you to take private lessons or a language course outside the University of Greenwich.  In some cases, language support may also be available when you arrive at your host institution.

    Erasmus+ students who are starting their mobility period on or after 1st January 2015, and who will be studying or working in a language other than their mother language, are required to undertake an on-line assessment of their language skills before and after their mobility period.  Currently, this only applies where the main language of instruction is English, French, German, Italian, Spanish or Dutch.  The purpose of the language assessment is to monitor how a student's language skills develop and progress over the course of their mobility period.  The outcome of the assessment will not affect your ability to take part in Erasmus+, and will not form part of your grades at the end of your mobility period.

Erasmus+ is funded with support from the European Commission. This website reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained here.