- Our extensive civil engineering laboratories are state of the art and offer students the best possible facilities for conducting Master's level research into all of the civil engineering disciplines
- The programme is run by a team of research-active staff and is supported by world-class experimental facilities, including the largest concrete slab testing rig in Europe
- This MSc is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators to give you Chartered Engineer status, and informed by changes in industry.
This programme enables graduates and engineers to develop their technical knowledge and skills to meet the future demands of the construction industry. It will give you the opportunity to develop your professional, analytical and management skills to an advanced level. It provides a broad, subject-specific curriculum with the chance to specialise through a variety of course options and an individual project. Topics for the project cover a variety of industrial applications and are inspired by the consultancy and research activities of academic staff.
Facilities and staff
The programme is run by a team of research-active staff and is supported by world-class experimental facilities, including the largest concrete slab testing rig in Europe, geotechnical and hydraulics laboratories, and one of the largest environmental chambers in the country. This environment will provide you with unique support and enable you to undertake course-related activities that involve analytical and experimental tasks as well as computer simulations.
Our staff work hard to support learning and are committed to student satisfaction. In return, we have received very positive feedback:
The Department of Engineering Science, part of the Faculty of Engineering and Science, has built strong links with local and national employers. We enjoy the support of an industrial board, a forum that enables us to constantly revise our programmes to reflect the changing needs of industry. Our students leave equipped with the skills and practical experience that employers value. We have invested in the very latest facilities and industry-standard equipment, so you will graduate with hands-on experience of the technology being used in the workplace. Many of our programmes are accredited or recognised by relevant professional bodies, which can widen your career options and increase your opportunities for career progression. Our success has been widely acknowledged.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Enhance specialist knowledge in selected areas of civil engineering which build upon studies at the undergraduate level
- Develop a broader insight into aspects of civil engineering design
- Develop critical insight into broader management issues relating to civil engineering in particular and construction in general.
What you'll study
Applicants should have:
An accredited degree in civil engineering (2.2 or above) or an equivalent qualification.
- You may also be considered if you do not have a first degree but have professional and vocational experience (e.g. incorporated engineer status) and demonstrate the potential to succeed on the programme
- Students educated in a language other than English should have an IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent
- Prospective students over 21 years of age receive special consideration as mature candidates.
Applications to postgraduate programmes should be made online at www.gre.ac.uk/apply. There is no closing date for applications to postgraduate programmes, but many fill up quickly, so you are advised to apply early. You do not have to wait for first degree or other examination results.
What people say
"Getting my degree from the University of Greenwich provided me with the necessary technical knowledge and supported me in many ways to stand out from the crowd."
Samer Muhandes, MSc Civil Engineering graduate
You will be assessed through
- Case studies
- Practical work
This programme is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (comprising the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers) as fully satisfying the further learning requirements for chartered engineer (CEng) registration. An individual holding an accredited MSc must also hold a CEng-accredited honours degree to have the full exemplifying qualifications for CEng status.
You may join world-class engineering consultants, contractors and clients with established, accredited training programmes and continuing professional development opportunities worldwide.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
A recently modernised, splendid Edwardian redbrick and ivy-clad campus based at Chatham Maritime, Kent.
Chatham Station (approx. 5 min by bus)
Gillingham Station (approx. 20 min walk / 10 min by bus)
Free parking is available for motorbikes and scooters. Public car parks nearby.
From Gatwick Airport take the National Express 270 coach service.
Campus bus service between campuses.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us