This TESOL course (teaching English to speakers of other languages) is designed for active language teachers who want to develop their careers or anyone looking to build a career teaching English.

Our MA in TESOL provides you with an in-depth understanding of current theories and practice in language learning and teaching. You'll explore how research in language learning and practical learning experience comes together.

As part of this MA, you will study contemporary theories of language acquisition, language testing, how to construct teaching materials, advanced English grammar, and advanced phonetics and phonology. Our TESOL course not only contributes to your professional development, it can also enhance your career prospects in the UK and abroad.




  • 1 years full-time
  • 2 years part-time

Start month


Home/international fees

2021/2022 fees

2021/2022 fees

What you should know about this course

  • You'll analyse different frameworks and research that relate to language learning, language teaching and language testing.
  • Explore the interface between research in language learning and the practical learning environment.
  • Develop the skills and knowledge of research methods in language learning to enable you to conduct your own research project.
  • This MA is an academic course of study and not a teacher training course, so does not include teaching practice.

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

Welcome to our Master's in TESOL, which is taught from within the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Your teaching comes from an experienced team of lecturers. These include academics and practitioners with experience in language teaching, applied linguistics and linguistics. Each member of our teaching team holds a teaching qualification.

Come and meet us

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you.

Next Open Days

Got a question?

To find out more about our Open Days and Campus Tours or if you need any assistance, please email

Entry requirements

If you are

You should have a UK undergraduate degree at 2.1 or above (or an equivalent qualification - both level and grade - from a recognised non-UK university) in a relevant humanities or social sciences subject. Other areas may also be considered. Some experience of language teaching would be beneficial but is not a requirement for entry to the course. 

Note: This MA is an academic programme of study and not a teacher training course, so does not include teaching practice.

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

The University of Greenwich accepts a broad range of international qualifications for admission to our courses.

For detailed information on the academic and English language requirements, please find your country in our directory.

Alternatively, please contact us:

Available to overseas students?


Can I use prior learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn

This section helps you understand more about how you’ll learn based on standard delivery of teaching and learning on campus.

However, as a response to COVID-19 we are currently operating a ‘blended model’ of teaching and learning. This means a combination of face-to-face sessions on our campuses with online lectures. There is additional support for any students who are unable to attend campus because they are ill or shielding. We’ll continue to offer blended learning to all our students, in line with government guidelines, for as long as we are advised to. If government or local authority rules require it, we may be limited to offering online-only learning but will return to blended learning as soon as we are safely able to do so.

You can find out more about how we are supporting our students.


In a typical week, learning takes place through a combination of lectures, seminars and workshops. You'll be able to discuss and develop your understanding of topics covered in lectures in the seminar sessions, as well as one-to-one sessions with dissertation supervisors or module tutors during their office hours upon request. Contact hours may fall between 9am and 9pm.

Class sizes

Information coming soon.

Independent learning

Outside of timetabled sessions, you'll need to dedicate time to self-study to prepare for coursework, presentations, and portfolio work. Our Stockwell Street library and online resources will support your further reading and research. 

You will also be invited to our monthly Postgraduate Reading Group, and activities arranged by the Centre for Research and Enterprise in Language (CREL) .

Overall workload

Your overall workload consists of contact hours (lectures, seminars, etc), independent learning, and assessments. For full-time students, the workload should be roughly equivalent to a full-time job. For part-time students, this will reduce in proportion with the number of modules you are studying.


On this course, students are assessed by a variety of assessment methods, including essays, portfolios, presentations, problem sets, research posters and a dissertation.

Feedback summary

We aim to give feedback on assignments within 15 working days.

Dates and timetables

The academic year runs from September to June.

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

2021/2022 fees

Full-time (per year) Part-time (per 30 credits)
View fees

Fees information International fees

Accommodation costs

Whether you choose to live in halls of residence or rent privately, we can help you find what you're looking for. We have dedicated accommodation for postgraduate students (Devonport House) available from just £160 per person per week, with bills included. If you require more space or facilities, these options are available at a slightly higher cost. Students based at the Medway Campus can also reside in student halls in Chatham or rent privately in the local area.

Accommodation pages

There is a range of financial support available to support your studies. This includes postgraduate loans, international scholarships, and options for current students and alumni to continue studying at the university.

We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Other costs

Further costs may include (but are not limited to):

  • Resources: it may be recommended that you purchase core books for your studies (estimate, £180).

Careers and placements

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

The MA TESOL has been designed for practising language teachers who wish to further develop their existing career, or for those who wish to build a new career in teaching English as a foreign or second language. As well as contributing to professional development, it can enhance career prospects and pathways in public and private education, both in the UK and overseas. 

Please note that this course is not a teacher training course. Anyone wishing to become a teacher will need to undertake the necessary specific training to qualify as a teacher.

Do you provide employability services?

Our services are designed to help you achieve your potential and support you towards a rewarding career.

The Employability and Careers Service (ECS) provides support when you are preparing to apply for jobs. It includes CV clinics, mock interviews and employability skills workshops.

Each School also has its own Employability Officer, who works closely with the sector and who may be able to provide specific opportunities relevant to your own course.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We want you to make the most of your time with us. You can access study skills support through your personal tutor, our subject librarians, and our online academic skills centre.

Where appropriate, we provide support in academic English and mathematics. If you need to use particular IT packages for a specific module, we provide training for this.

Support from the department

As a Humanities and Social Sciences student you will become a member of the Centre for Research and Enterprise in Language (CREL)

CREL organises workshops, conferences, training courses, language courses and Continuing Professional Development courses.

Accommodation information

Accommodation pages

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate taught prospectus or check our related courses below.

English at the University of Greenwich

Study English at Greenwich on a World Heritage Site with a rich cultural history. Take inspiration from London’s theatres, galleries, bookshops and literary events as part of your degree.

Visit our english subject page.

Michael Palin speaks at the Greenwich Book Festival 2019

University of Greenwich hosts the Greenwich Book Festival annually with acclaimed writers, poets and illustrators including Michael Palin, Billy Bragg and Malorie Blackman OBE and an inspiring range of events for adults and families.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK or EU student and want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK or EU student and want to study part-time then you apply to the university directly.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.