Postgraduate - research prospectus

Health and Social Care Research, MPhil/PhD

Study a research degree (MPhil/PhD) in health and social care if you’re looking to deepen your knowledge and are passionate about research that can change policies and lives.

Our research degree in health and social care has a strong focus on sociology, social policy health and wellbeing studies. With support from our supervisory team of experts, you will learn to apply both qualitative and quantitative research methods and work towards a substantial piece of research. Our specialist areas include primary care and public health, healthcare delivery, education and training of social care professionals, sexual health, mental health, substance abuse, ageing and chronic diseases.

With a research degree, you will be able to pursue careers in further and higher education, or research opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Applications are welcome from health, nursing, social work, psychology and counselling backgrounds to study on a full-time or part-time basis.

Clearing is open

Clearing is now openApply by live chat


Avery Hill


  • 3-4 years full-time
  • 4-6 years part-time

Start month


Home/international fees

2019/2020 fees

View fees

2020/2021 fees

View fees

2020/2021 fees

What you should know about this course

  • We have an extensive range of specialist areas across the discipline of health and social care. If you have an enquiry about our ability to support your needs, get in touch.
  • You register for the MPhil in the first instance and will be given the option to transfer to PhD following a progress review at the end of your first year (for full-time students).
  • When applying for an MPhil or PhD, you will need to submit a research proposal and identify a potential supervisor that can support your work.
  • As a part-time student, you will need to devote at least 12 hours per week to your studies.

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

Welcome to our MPhil/PhD in Health and Social Care Research. Our course is supported by teaching and supervisory teams which have a strong range of practical and academic experience, both in health and social care/psychology and in doctoral supervision. Our research expertise covers a diverse range of practice in health and social care research from organisation and delivery of health and social care and primary care and public health, to sexual health and mental health and well-being to substance misuse and counselling and development.

Come and meet us

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you.

Next Open Days

Got a question?

To find out more about our Open Days and Campus Tours or if you need any assistance, please email

Entry requirements

If you are

Applicants should have:

  • A first degree in a relevant subject, normally 2.1 or above.
  • A Master's degree is an additional advantage.

Applicants without English as their first language must have an IELTS score of 7.0 or above, or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.

In addition, candidates must:

  • Identify an area of research that they wish to pursue and submit an outline proposal of approximately 1,500 words with their application form.

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

The University of Greenwich accepts a broad range of international qualifications for admission to our courses.

For detailed information on the academic and English language requirements, please find your country in our directory.

Alternatively, please contact us:

Available to overseas students?


Can I use prior learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn


There are advertised research study days but most of the teaching takes the form of regular supervision meetings with members of the supervisory team.

Class sizes

Information coming soon.

Independent learning

The majority of your work is in the form of independent learning. Our libraries and online resources will support your further reading and research.

Overall workload

Independent research, but also training in research, teaching and transferable skills. Postgraduate research events such as talks, seminars and conferences. You will be expected to keep a record of your research activities, skills and training in a portfolio and upload it.


As your MPhil/PhD progresses, you will move through several review points including a transfer viva to ensure good progress and high quality-work. You will be assessed through your research thesis. Following your submission, you will have an oral examination.

Feedback summary

Once a postgraduate research student has submitted their thesis for examination, the examination should take place within three months of the date the Faculty Research Degrees Committee approves the examination arrangements.

Dates and timetables

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

2019/2020 fees

Full-time (per year) Part-time (per 30 credits)
View fees

2020/2021 fees

Full-time (per year) Part-time (per 30 credits)
View fees

* For full fees information please visit our fees information pages.

Fees information International fees

Accommodation costs

Whether you choose to live in halls of residence or rent privately, we can help you find what you're looking for. We have dedicated accommodation for postgraduate students (Devonport House) available from just £160 per person per week, with bills included. If you require more space or facilities, these options are available at a slightly higher cost. Students based at the Medway Campus can also reside in student halls in Chatham or rent privately in the local area.

Accommodation pages

There is a range of financial support available to support your studies. This includes postgraduate loans, international scholarships, and options for current students and alumni to continue studying at the university.

We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Careers and placements

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

MPhil and PhD graduates in Health and Social Care will be able to pursue careers in teaching in further and higher education, as well as research and other opportunities in both public and private sectors.

Do you provide employability services?

Our services are designed to help you achieve your potential and support your transition towards a rewarding graduate career.

The Employability and Careers Service provides support when you are preparing to apply for placements and graduate roles. It includes CV clinics, mock interviews and career skills workshops.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We want you to make the most of your time with us. You can access study skills support through your tutor, our subject librarians, and our online academic skills centre. There are research-related modules that you may benefit from. For further details contact the programme leader. You can also drop into relevant undergraduate and Master's programmes, upon agreement with the teaching teams.

Support from the department

You will receive regular support from the teaching and supervisory teams as well as from your fellow students who will provide you with a strong network for motivation and support throughout your doctoral journey, including seminars, journal clubs etc.

Research projects we have supported include: 

  • Organisation and delivery of health and social care
  • Primary care and public health
  • Education and training of health and social care professionals
  • Learning, development and wellbeing
  • Sexual health
  • Mental health and wellbeing
  • Substance misuse
  • Inter-personal violence
  • Brain, action and movement
  • Counselling and development.

Accommodation information

Accommodation pages

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate research prospectus or check our related courses below.

Health and social care at the University of Greenwich

As a health and social care student at Greenwich, you can expect research-active expert tutors, work placements and great job prospects thanks to our strong links with social care providers.

Visit our health and social care subject page.

New £5,000-a-year bursaries

From September 2020, students in nursing, midwifery, paramedic science, and speech & language therapy will receive at least £5,000 a year towards their studies.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK or EU student and you want to study full-time, you can now apply through Clearing.

If you want to apply for a later session, please see our how to apply page.

If you are a UK or EU student and want to study part-time then you apply to the university directly.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.