The University of Greenwich Maritime Assessment Centre (MAC) in partnership with Kent Assessors offers needs assessments for the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).

Needs assessments and DSAs

Needs assessments ensure you receive appropriate assistance with your studies. lf you are applying for DSAs, your funding body usually requires you to have a needs assessment to help with this process. DSAs are available to full-time and part-time home students with disabilities, dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties, as well as mental health and long-term medical conditions of more than 12 months duration.

The needs assessment is an informal meeting with one of our assessors, who will talk to you about any equipment and support that could help you with your programme. You can try out equipment to see if it may be useful to you. An assessment usually lasts 1½ to 2 hours.

Needs assessments are offered at the Greenwich campus. The service is open to students from other educational establishments who are living or studying in south-east London or Kent.

What to bring to your needs assessment

You should bring any letters from your funding body about your DSA application, any reports about your disability and how it affects you (including an educational psychologist's report if you have dyslexia) and any medical reports or letters from your health-care professional. You should also take details about your study programme, such as a handbook.

After the meeting

After the meeting we write a report outlining recommendations for assistance during your studies, and obtain quotations from three suppliers for any equipment we recommend. Copies of the report and quotations are sent to you and your funding body.

We aim to get reports completed within ten working days. Your funding body then considers our recommendations and contacts you to outline what support has been agreed. Your funding body will tell you how to purchase any equipment. For recommended tuition support or other support related to non-medical helpers, you will need to contact your disability adviser at your university or college.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment at the Maritime Assessment Centre please contact: