We are committed to working towards preventing sexual violence from occurring within our community and take a zero-tolerance approach.

If you have experienced sexual assault, sexual violence or sexual harassment, there are services available to you.

Need Help now?

If you are in immediate danger, you can call 999 for the emergency services.

We also have Campus Security, if you are on site:

Avery Hill: internal phone 9101 or 0208 331 9101

Greenwich: internal phone 7616 or 0208 331 7616

Medway: internal phone 3138 or 0208 331 3138

Support from outside the university

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC)

SARCs offer medical, practical and emotional support. They have specially trained doctors, nurses and support workers.

You don't have to report an incident to the police to use a SARC, you can still refer yourself for assessment and medical care.

If you do decide to make a report to the police, they can also arrange for you to attend a SARC for medical care and, if you wish, a forensic medical examination.

The NHS non-emergency helpline 111 will be able to give details of a your nearest SARC.

There is also a postcode search facility, which is available here:



HAVENS Specialist Centres in London (SARC-Sexual Assault Referral Centre) (Women, Men, LGBT)

There are Centres based in Camberwell, Whitechapel and Paddington.

For urgent advice/appointments:

Telephone: 020 3299 6900

Website: https://www.thehavens.org.uk/


Beech House –The Kent and Medway SARC Sexual Assault Referral Centre (Men, Women, LGBT)

Telephone: 0800 133 7432

Website: http://www.beechhousesarc.org/

Rape Crisis England and Wales for women and girls, signposting for men and boys

On this site you'll find: how to get help if you've experienced rape, child sexual abuse or any kind of sexual violence; details of local Rape Crisis services; information about sexual violence for survivors, people supporting survivors, as well as information about their work. They also have information on support for men and boys.

Website: www.rapecrisis.org.uk

SurvivorsUK for men, signposting for those under 18

SurvivorsUK can offer a range of support services including counselling and therapy appointments as well as online chat. They advise that all their services are provided by trained professionals and that whilst their service was initially established as a service for male survivors that they are an inclusive service and welcome anyone who identifies as male, trans, non-binary, has identified as male in the past, or anyone who feels that they are the right fit for them.

Website: https://www.survivorsuk.org/

Survivor's Network

They offer a range of professional relevant services to survivors of any gender aged 14+ who have experienced any form of sexual violence and that they are fully accredited members of Rape Crisis England and Wales. They have a helplines for people who self-identify as women, for people who identify as trans; non-binary and support and referral services for men and boys. Only Brighton residents can use their Counselling and ISVA services but the drop-ins and helplines are open to anyone.

Website: http://survivorsnetwork.org.uk/

Support available within the university

Sexual Violence Liaison officers

We have members of staff who have received specialist training and can provide sensitive, professional support to students who have experienced sexual assault and sexual violence, called Sexual Violence Liaison officers (SVLOs). This service is available to students whether or not they have contacted one of the organisations above.

SVLOs work within a strict set of boundaries and a code of confidentiality. They are not counsellors or legal advisers but they can help you access appropriate support to meet your individual needs, for example:

  • Referral to external specialist services;
  • Academic support and adjustments, i.e. Extenuating Circumstances;
  • Referral to counselling and mental health support;
  • Information about University policies and procedures;

The SVLO team are accessible during office hours (9am-5pm) Monday-Friday.

You can contact an SVLO through the Student Wellbeing team on:

Telephone: 020 8331 7875

Email: wellbeing@gre.ac.uk

SVLO Privacy Notice

Listening Ears

These are members of staff who also volunteer to be 'listening ears' to provide support to students.

They offer an informal service and work within a code of confidentiality for issues relating to welfare; equality and diversity; and bullying and harassment (including on the grounds of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, race, sex and sexual orientation).

They are not trained counsellors, but they are provided with training to help them undertake the role.

More information on this service and how to contact them is available here: Listening Ears

Counselling Service

We have professional counsellors who are experienced in working with psychological and emotional issues. They abide by the Ethical Framework set out by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy and provide confidential support within a brief therapy model.

More information on the counselling service

Further information

Sexual Violence Policy

This policy outlines the University's commitment to responding to sexual violence within its community. The policy and strategy information outlines some of the initiatives we have undertaken and further information on policies, support available and reporting information.

Bullying and Harrassment at University Policy and Procedures (Students)

The University has a Bullying and Harassment policy for students available here which explains more about harassment and bullying and sets out our approach to responding to harassment and bullying in our in our community.