Skip navigation

Part time students support Study here

The student statutory support system does not provide the same kind of support for postgraduates as it does for undergraduates, except in the case of certain teacher training programmes.

You will be expected to have made adequate financial provisions in advance of starting your programme. Assistance from the Access to Learning Fund may be available towards course costs not provided for by any other source (not tuition fees). Postgraduate students can also apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance.

Some research councils offer bursaries to students and some charities and trust funds may be able to help, but you must seek these out well in advance of the start of your programme of study. You may also be eligible for a career development loan.

Disabled Students' Allowance

The Disabled Students' Allowance is available from your local authority to help you with costs that you incur as a direct result of your disability while attending your programme.

Claiming benefits

As a part-time student you may be able to claim income-related benefits, such as income support and housing benefit. If you are claiming Jobseekers Allowance you must be willing to go to a job interview, even if you have to take time off from your programme. You should also be prepared to rearrange your hours of study to fit around a job.

Further information

Finance for part-time students

Get more details on the support available to part-time students from DirectGov's finance for part-time students pages.