1. Different names in universities

Schools, colleges and universities have different names for the same sort of things. At school, you often hear about special educational needs or SEN; most schools have a SENCO who arranges class support. Some universities also refer to SENCOs, but not very many. Instead, universities have disability advisors and dyslexia tutors. The names of these roles depend on which university you go to. The disability and dyslexia support team is normally located in Student Services, Student Support or similar. For instance, there is one university where the support services are found in the Enabling Centre and quite a few institutions have Disabled Student Services.

Some universities also have a section specifically for deaf and hard of hearing support services. Not every university will have specialist staff dedicated to supporting these students but will know how to arrange for notetakers, interpreters and communication support workers (CSWs). The best thing to do is to look at the websites of the universities you are interested in to find out what support they can provide.

2. Visit the universities you are thinking of going to

Without visiting the university campus, it is difficult to see how accessible it is, and how big it is. Some universities have very big sites with lakes and parkland as well as classrooms and accommodation. Others are smaller and more compact. You may need to consider the size when you are making your decision, especially if you get tired easily or if you have difficulty moving around.

3. Visit the disability, D/deaf and dyslexia support staff

While you are visiting the campus, try to visit the staff who are responsible for making sure that all disabled students are supported properly. This will give you an idea of what support you can expect if you enrol there. This is particularly important for students who are deaf or hard of hearing as notetakers, CSWs and interpreters may be needed during your studies. Some universities use other students to provide support whilst other universities try and employ qualified staff only. You may also want to know if the support staff will have any knowledge of the subject you want to study, for example, having an engineering student taking notes for a sociology degree may not be very successful.

In general, universities have access to specialist dyslexia tutors. These tutors can provide advice and strategies to ensure dyslexic students can access and understand what they need to do when they are studying. Tutors can also work with students essay structure, revision techniques and organisational skills.

Mentoring schemes in universities are also becoming more popular. This type of scheme usually involves having a mentor who is also a student who may be able to provide tips on university life you may not get from a member of staff.

4. Specialist equipment and exam arrangements

The majority of disabled and dyslexic students are entitled to a variety of support which may help them with their study. Technology such as specialist software can make studying at university a bit easier. A blind or partially sighted student may benefit from voice activated software whilst a dyslexic student may benefit from a digital recorder for lectures. Students may also benefit from extended time in exams, either because they require a scribe or because they prefer to use a computer instead of writing by hand. All of these things can be discussed with the disability and dyslexia staff when you visit.

5. Applying for the Disabled Students' Allowance as soon as possible

This is probably the most important top tip. The Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is the funding which pays for all of the specialist equipment and support staff. The allowance provides up to £20,520 per year for support staff such as dyslexia tutors and interpreters and up to £5,161 for equipment such as specialist software. It is vital to apply for this funding as soon as possible. Although some universities will provide support if the funding has been delayed, unfortunately, not all universities will do this. Again, this is something you can check with the disability and dyslexia staff when you visit.

This list is just a brief explanation of things which may benefit some disabled and dyslexic students considering going to university. You should also have access to someone in your school or college who can also help with the decision to go to university. Having a disability or dyslexia is no longer a barrier to going to university - and there is plenty of support out there to make sure your time at university is enjoyable.

6. Join STAART: Support Through *AccessAbility Retention and Transition.

This is a unique model of transition for disabled university students. Building on our previous projects, we have realised that a number of disabled students who had accessed our outreach support wanted to continue their relationship with us as they entered their university of choice. We have introduced STAART Facebook and Twitter accounts, and 1-2-1 Skype meetings with myself to ensure any post-16 disabled student can access information and good practice regarding disability and higher education, regardless of their geographical position (including oversees). Accessing the STAART Facebook group can enable disabled students to interact with each other and boost their knowledge of university life , which may enhance their self-esteem and/or their psychological wellbeing.

For disabled students who live close to our campuses, we also have workshops on site on selected Wednesday twilight sessions and Saturday mornings. It is hoped that we can provide webinars of these workshops in the future to enable more disabled students to access our support. The eventual intention of STAART is to create a global community of practice to share good practice on disability issues and higher education via the STAART Facebook group. Prospective disabled students can book a place via our website: www.gre.ac.uk/aap.