3 years full time
6 years part time
4 years sandwich programme
The digital world is changing from a world of computers to a world of connected smart devices and intelligent systems embedded in the environment, commonly described as the Internet of Things. The future of technology is increasingly focused on bringing the virtual world into the real world through innovations such as Google Glass and smart watches. At the same time, there are hardware advances such as robots that can vacuum your floors, walk, dance and even climb stairs. Developments in sensing technology allow people to play with games consoles by simply waving their arms. These trends will gain pace as technology moves away from the keyboard and screen to become truly embedded in the environment around you.
The move towards smart interconnected devices is going to be as revolutionary as the advent of personal computing, but will only be successful if companies can combine the traditional disciplines of computing and engineering to develop a new generation of intelligent systems that are designed to integrate together seamlessly. This exciting new degree programme is uniquely placed to provide you with the skills to be at the cutting edge of this new area by developing your skills as a cross-disciplinary innovator.
Nearly 50% of the top 250 Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) companies have a CEO who holds an engineering degree. This programme builds your skills to set you on the road to leadership.
This degree programme is three years long in full-time mode. It is a new programme, but it is strongly anticipated that it will be accredited as:
- Fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- Partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
A programme of accredited further learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See, for example, http://www.theiet.org for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng status. Please see the MEng programmes if you are looking for CEng status without further academic study.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineer who can work effectively with current and future engineering product/ intelligent system development and production/implementation methods
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new products and technologies for the Internet of Things
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics and Computing.
What you'll study
Applicants from a UK educational background:
You should have 120UCAS points which should come from A-levels. 32 points should come from mathematics, a physical science or a numerate subject at A2-level. You will also need GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, mathematics and a science.
We will also accept:
- AS-levels along with A2-levels
- Alternative qualifications including BTEC and National Diploma. National Diploma applicants that have also successfully completed the additional, core mathematics modules and the extended project (Technical Baccalaureate) are specifically encouraged to apply
- Appropriate qualifications such as an HNC, HND or foundation degree, with which you may be able to enter this degree in Year 2 or later.
General studies and Level 3 Key Skills are not accepted for this degree.
For more information, contact email@example.com or 020 8331 9000.
Applicants from a non-UK educational background:
Applicants must have successfully completed 12 years of full time education, and demonstrated competence in mathematics (usually equivalent to GCSE grade C).
If you were educated in a language other than English and/or in a country where English speakers are in a minority, you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent. If you require a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK, your score must be from a UK Visas and Immigration approved IELTS test.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)20 8331 8136.
We welcome applications from mature students.
Student progress is assessed through a mix of examinations, assignments and project/laboratory work.
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) accreditation is strongly anticipated.
These programmes are designed to provide the knowledge and skills you need to enter a wide range of careers in technology, engineering and computing, particularly in the field of emerging technologies. A number of former students have opted to create their own companies.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Come and get a feel for what learning and life is like with us.
Next Open Day
Apply now and begin your journey.
A recently modernised, splendid Edwardian redbrick and ivy-clad campus based at Chatham Maritime, Kent.
Chatham Station (approx. 5 min by bus)
Gillingham Station (approx. 20 min walk / 10 min by bus)
Free parking is available for motorbikes and scooters. Public car parks nearby.
From Gatwick Airport take the National Express 270 coach service.
Campus bus service between campuses.
More about studying here, including support, lifestyle and general information about how our courses work
Study with us