(updated 07/01) Covid-tests: which test to get, and where you can get them


If you're coming to campus you should get a Covid-19 a symptom free (LFD) test twice a week with 3-4 days between tests - find out where you can collect home test kits, and where you can get a PCR test if you have Covid symptoms.

It remains important for us all to get regular symptom free (LFD) tests

Even if you don’t have symptoms it’s really important to test regularly for Covid-19 using a symptom free (LFD) test.  Vulnerable people, such as the elderly or those with underlying health conditions, can still get seriously ill if they catch Covid-19.

That’s why it’s so important we all keep testing - staff and students who are on campus should get a Covid-19 symptom free (LFD) test twice a week with 3-4 days between tests. This is part of our Covid-Safe Charter.

If you develop any Covid-19 symptoms, such as a cough, a high temperature or a loss of taste or smell, even if only mildly, you must get a PCR test straight away. LFD tests are for people who do not have symptoms and should not be taken as an alternative to a PCR test.

Thank you for getting tested regularly, you're helping keep us all safe.

Getting symptom free (LFD) home test kits

Home test kits allow you to test yourself before coming to campus. Please make sure that you upload your result (even if it is negative) to the NHS Test and Trace portal and that you give the University of Greenwich as your university/employer when you report your results.

You can collect free home test kits from:

  • GSU reception desks in Dreadnought Building (Greenwich campus) and the Dome (Avery Hill campus), between 10.00-16.00 Monday-Friday.
  • Community test sites run by Greenwich council and Medway council, including the test sites at Daniel Defoe Hall (Greenwich campus) and the Gym (Medway campus).
  • The DHSC PCR test sites on our campuses: Devonport House at Greenwich, Avery Hill and Jellicoe Building car park, Medway - you will be directed to the collection point.
  • Participating pharmacies: the NHS has a collection site finder that gives locations of test sites and pharmacies offering home kit collection and opening times.
  • Order them online from the government's website.

Getting a symptom free (LFD) test

You can get a free LFD test at any community test site run by Greenwich council, Medway council or other local authorities. You will be tested on site and you will usually get your result within an hour of your test.

We have the following LFD test sites on our campuses, but you can use any community test site:

  • Greenwich campus (Greenwich council): Daniel Defoe Hall, open 8.00-17.00 Monday – Friday. Tests can be booked via Greenwich council’s website.
  • Medway campus (Medway council): the Sports Hall, open 8.30-16.00 Monday-Thursday and 12.00-19.00 Sunday. No booking required; see Medway council’s website for further details.

Remember if your symptom free (LFD) test is negative, that doesn't mean you can't get Covid.  You should continue to follow our Covid Safe Guidance and observe precautions, such as wearing a mask inside our buildings as we recommend that you do, and continue to take regular symptom free (LFD) tests.

If your symptom free (LFD) test is positive, you must self-isolate and tell the university using our Covid-19 reporting form. The people you live with will need to follow the government's guidance. From 11 January 2022, you do not need to get a PCR test to confirm this result. The information which you will receive from NHS Test and Trace with your LFD test result will explain how to get a PCR test.

Getting a PCR test

If you develop any Covid-19 symptoms, such as a cough, a high temperature or a loss of taste or smell, you must get a PCR test straight away.

We have Department of Health & Social Care PCR test sites on our campuses: Devonport House at Greenwich, Avery Hill campus and Jellicoe Building car park, Medway campus.

You can find details of the test sites for people with symptoms on Greenwich Council and Medway Council websites.

More information:

If you are a student on placement

If you’re a student on placement (e.g. in the NHS), you should take part in any local testing programme which your placement provider offers and you must meet any testing requirements of your placement provider.

If you are travelling internationally

If you are intending to travel internationally, please be aware that some countries require a high level of Covid-19 certification as a condition of entry. This is not available through the national testing programme and you will need to be tested privately to meet this requirement.  Please refer to the Government's foreign travel advice and contact the UK-based embassy of the country you're travelling to for further information. You should also familiarise yourself with the UK government’s requirements for testing/self-isolation on re-entry to the UK.