As an international student, you'll need to consider if you need a visa to study in the UK and what type of visa you need to apply for.

You won't need a visa to study in the UK if you are a national of:

  • The European Union
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

If you are from any other country, you are likely to need a visa.

Tier 4 visas

In most cases, a Tier 4 visa will be the visa you need to study in the UK. A Tier 4 visa is issued for the length of your programme of study, plus up to four additional months.

Short-Term Study visas

If your programme of study is less than 6 months long, you may be able to apply for a a Short-Term Study visa.

Other Types of visa

If you hold a different type of UK visa, the university will advise you at the point of application if this can be used for study. Most long-term visas can be used to study in the UK.

Please note that any form of visit visa cannot be used to study with us.

The information on this page is correct at the time of writing. Whilst we try to make sure the information we provide is accurate, immigration policy changes frequently. You should therefore always refer to the official website to ensure that you have up-to-date information: