Joining us as a mature student


We welcome students from all ages, backgrounds and walks of life, and 56% of our students are classed as mature.

If you are 21 or over when you start your undergraduate degree, you are classed as a mature student. Perhaps you've had a few years outside of education and have now decided to go to university. You may be looking to change career or simply want to enter the world of higher education. Whatever your reason, you'll find a welcoming, friendly community that will help you realise your ambitions.

(If you are interested in postgraduate study, please visit our postgraduate programme page)

Ways into higher education for mature students

  • You have completed a QAA-recognised Access to Higher Education programme
  • You have relevant life skills and work experience, which we will take into account as much as your academic qualifications
  • You already have experience of higher education study, in which case you may be able to join a programme in the second or third year.

If you have no formal qualifications, don't let that stop you. We want you to benefit from learning and study, and complete your programme successfully. So please include any supporting information, for example relevant alternatives to qualifications through career or life experiences, in your personal statement on the application form.

We offer lots of support if you're returning to education after a break to help you balance the demands of studying with family and/or work commitments. This includes part-time and flexible degree programmes, as well as one-to-one academic support.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Recognition of Prior Learning takes into account your current learning and compares it with the learning required on the programme you're applying for. It could contribute to your entry qualifications if you don't meet the formal requirements or count towards your degree, which could exempt you from studying one or more courses.

How to apply

All undergraduate applications need to be made through UCAS, we can't make you an offer otherwise. You will need to include a personal statement in your application. See our tips on how to write a personal statement that will impress admission tutors.


There are a number of allowances and grants for students with children, students who are care leavers, and disabled students. You can find out more on our student finance service pages.


If you require it, the University of Greenwich guarantees all first-year students accommodation on or near to our campuses at Avery Hill, Greenwich and Medway. There is also a hall dedicated to mature students.

Find out more about living and studying with us

Open Days
Come and find out more about what it's like studying here.

Fees and finance
Our tuition fees, and how to finance your studies.

Support and advice
Helping you make the most of academic and student life.