Information for employers Degree apprenticeships

Degree apprenticeships are work-based qualifications, which means that a proportion of the training and assessment takes place on-site

Degrees designed by employers

Nobody understands the skills that employers need graduates to acquire better than the employers themselves and this scheme puts those employers in the driving seat, allowing them to design apprenticeships that focus on exactly the skills, knowledge and behaviours that are required of the workforce of the future.

Apprenticeships are governed by standards which are developed by groups of trailblazers. A wide range of employers are involved in every single Trailblazer, including large employers, their supply chains and small businesses and each Trailblazer group is reviewed to ensure that it is reflective of their wider sector. Trailblazers are expected to consult more widely and one of the criteria set for approving the apprenticeship standards is proven support from smaller employers.

Higher and Degree apprenticeships are work-based qualifications, which means a proportion of the training and assessment takes place on-site, with the employer. Attendance at University will be required for specific elements of the academic award and will usually take place through day release or training blocks throughout the year.

The benefits

By engaging in the Higher or Degree Apprenticeship scheme businesses can:

  • Play a central role in the design and delivery of apprenticeships
  • Expect standards and assessment primarily designed by employers
  • Meet demand for higher level skills
  • Provide progression routes for those who have completed an apprenticeship at a lower level
  • Attract new talent into a sector or region
  • Improve their competitiveness and productivity
  • Retain and train existing staff

Apprentices can help business growth by increasing productivity, injecting fresh ideas and enthusiasm, and help to unlock grants and financial support. 

The Higher and Degree Apprentice model is not only designed to attract new talent to the business but also can be used to develop existing employees in the business. Incentives will be provided to support small businesses with fewer than 50 staff, for apprentices aged 16-18 and for successful completion.

How they are funded

The Apprenticeship Levy puts employers at the heart of paying for and choosing apprenticeship training, and places the funding of apprenticeships on a sustainable footing. Employers will spend their Levy payments by selecting high quality education from training providers from the Education and Skills Funding Agency's register of apprenticeship training providers (RoATP).

Those businesses who are not Levy payers will receive assistance from the Apprenticeship scheme to take on Higher and Degree Apprentices. This works on a Co-Investment model with the government paying 90% of the cost of the training and the remaining 10% will come from the employer.

A non levy paying employer can receive a transfer of levy from a levy paying employer and pay for the training up to the maximum funding band through this model. 

Available Apprenticeships

The University of Greenwich are able to offer programmes in the following areas:

Engineering and Science


  • BSc H Mental Health Nursing DA
  • MSc Advanced Clinical Practioner
  • BSc H Midwifery DAHNC Nursing  Associate Apprenticeship
  • BSc H Adult Nursing DA
  • BSc H Children's Nursing DA
  • BSc H Learning Disabilities Nursing D


  • BSc H Quantity Surveying DA


  • Postgrad Credit QTS only (Teacher Apprenticeship)

To get in touch with us and discuss your individual needs then e-mail us at