(Updated 2/2) Being Covid-Safe: Student FAQs


We know you will have questions we'll share answers to common questions here - so check this page regularly.

Our Covid-Safe Charter sets out how we expect students and staff to behave during the pandemic and what you can expect from the University and GSU.

You can find more information on our Be Covid-Safe page, along with information on the start of term on the Settling in to university page.  These pages, and this FAQ page, are linked from the portal home page, so they are easy to find.

We will continue to keep our guidance under review and reflect any changes in government guidance. We are continuing to work closely with our local councils to provide test facilities on or near our campuses.

Please read the questions and answers below, if your question isn't covered here, then please get in touch by emailing Student Communications.

(updated 2/2) Where do I have to wear a face covering?

Following the government’s removal of Plan B restrictions the university has updated its Covid-Safe Arrangements and Covid-Safe Charter.  We will continue to monitor the government guidance and keep our arrangements under review.

Students, staff and visitors to our campuses are expected and strongly recommended to continue to wear face coverings in our buildings, unless you are exempt*.  In line with TfL’s arrangements face coverings continue to be a requirement when using the university bus service and in university vehicles, unless you are exempt*.

* If you are exempt from wearing a face covering please display/wear an exemption badge or lanyard. You can download and wear the government's face covering exemption badge. If you can't download the badge, you can pick one up from any of our Student Centres.

I'm exempt from wearing a face covering, what should I do?

If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, please wear an exemption badge or lanyard.

Badges are available to download online and can also be collected from Student Centres. Badges can either be those provided by the government or the Hidden Disabilities sunflower badges.

How can I get a home Covid test kit?

Home test kits are available for students and staff to collect at test sites on campus, they can also be ordered online - for details please see our Covid testing arrangements page and/or How to collect/order a Covid Home Test Kit.

I’ve been vaccinated do I still need to get regular Covid-tests?

No vaccine is 100% effective and therefore, even if you have had both doses, there is still no absolute guarantee that you will not become ill from Covid-19. Therefore, you should continue to have regular Covid-tests and follow the university and government guidance, to help protect yourself and others.

Where can I find out information about booking my Covid vaccination?

Students and staff are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated; further information about how to do so is available on the NHS website. We are planning to run vaccination clinics on our campuses in September in conjunction with the NHS and our local councils.

Also see the section on the portal: Covid-19 Vaccination: What are the facts and why it is important.

I've had both of my jabs, when can I get my booster?

The current NHS booster programme is being offered on phased basis, similar to when the first vaccines were given. I.e. those who are older, have underlying health conditions or are frontline healthcare workers are being offered the booster first.  However, you cannot have a booster dose until at least 6 months after you had your 2nd dose.

We strongly encourage you to register with a local GP so that you are invited to attend a local clinic at the appropriate time.

I had my Covid vaccination overseas, can I get the booster here?  (added 24 January)

Yes, if you have received all doses of an approved vaccine outside of the UK, you will be eligible to receive a booster, as long as the appropriate period of time has passed, and you have not recently had the virus.

Please bring along your vaccine passport or other proof of status when attending the clinic.

Is the university bus service still available and can I park on campus?

You can find out more on our Travel and transport arrangements pages.

I am coming to campus do I have to have a Covid test?

Staff and students who are on campus should get a Covid-19 Lateral Flow Device (LFD) test twice a week with 3-4 days between tests. Where possible, you should test yourself using a home test kit before coming to campus.  You can see details of the Covid-testing arrangements on our campuses on the portal.

How do I notify the university if I am self-isolating?

You should notify us if you are self-isolating because you have developed the symptoms of Covid-19 or received a positive test result (either a positive PCR test or a positive lateral flow test).  You should also let us know if you are self-isolating for quarantine reasons.

Are campuses & classrooms Covid-safe?

In line with the government guidance and the removal of social distancing guidelines, the university is operating normal classroom set-up supported by other risk mitigations.  These include the expected wearing of face coverings, enhanced ventilation and cleaning, and for lecturing staff to continue to stand 2m back from the class.

Where can I find more information on the university's No Detriment approach and Extenuating Circumstances

We have published information on our No Detriment approach on Student News, this has been developed in conjunction with the GSU.  It puts in place two 'safety nets' so your grades aren't adversely affected by the pandemic.  It applies to all taught UG and Masters students (at Greenwich or franchised provision with our partners), and will be automatically applied to all assignments from September 2020, and we will only adjust marks upwards. It is designed to help you to achieve the best possible grades this year. If you have any questions regarding the advice please speak to your personal tutor or programme leader as they will be able to talk you through what this means for you.

Our Extenuating Circumstances page provides information you need to inform your faculty of circumstances which may have affected your performance in an assessment or exam.

How do the calculations in the university's No Detriment approach work, and how does it benefit me?

Further details and examples are provided in the No Detriment policy - information is also available on Student News in our No Detriment approach article.  If you have any questions regarding the advice please speak to your personal tutor or programme leader as they will be able to talk you through what this means for you.

How will I know if my grades have been affected by the university's No Detriment approach?

Our No Detriment approach is being applied to all taught UG and Masters students (at Greenwich or franchised provision with our partners), and will be automatically applied to all assignments from September 2020.  Please note: we will only adjust marks upwards. It is designed to help you to achieve the best possible grades this year. If you have any questions regarding the advice please speak to your personal tutor or programme leader as they will be able to talk you through what this means for you.

I'm travelling from overseas do I need a Covid-19 Test before my journey?

The UK government has announced that from Monday 18 January, anyone arriving in England from abroad must have a negative Covid-19 test.

  • You must take the test no more than 3 days before your journey
  • You will need to present your negative test result before you board your flight
  • The test must meet minimum requirements and the test result must be in English, Spanish, or French
  • You could be fined £500 if you arrive without a valid test result

Please see here for more information: 

I'm an international student and am travelling home, can I use lateral flow test results?

If you are intending to travel internationally, please be aware that some countries require a high level of Covid-19 certification as a condition of entry.  Please refer to the Government's foreign travel advice and contact the UK-based embassy of the country you're travelling to for further information.

What wellbeing services are available to support me?

Returning to lockdown can understandably bring stresses and uncertainty and your wellbeing remains our priority. We have a range of services and helplines available to you including our Student Wellbeing Service.

Our Looking after your wellbeing: Make use of the support available to you article has details of all our services available.

Is there a cost to having a Covid test?

You will be able to access a free test at each of our campuses, for details see our Covid testing arrangements page.

What happens if I test positive for Covid?

If your test result is positive, please inform us using our Covid reporting form. You, and the people you live with, must follow the government guidance.

How will the university let me know if I needed to self-isolate if someone I have been studying/working or living in halls with tests positive?

The university has strict procedures in place to follow when we are notified of confirmed or suspected cases of Covid-19 by students, staff or other visitors to campus, so that we can take swift action where appropriate to minimise the risk to others and enable us to liaise with external bodies such as Public Health England and local authorities to ensure that actions are effective and proportionate.

The Safety Unit will coordinate the university's response and will advise line managers, or a relevant member of staff to contact the team/cohort who have been in close contact with the individual and informing them of what actions they need to take, and remind them of the support available to them.

In line with our Covid-Safe charter, to protect the individual as much as possible when informing teams/cohorts we will not disclose the name of the student/colleague.  You can see our protocols on our Covid-Safe Arrangements page.

What is the university doing to plan for changes to government advice?

We are continuing to monitor the situation closely as it develops.  The health, safety and wellbeing of our staff and students remains our priority. We are monitoring the advice from government, including Public Health England and also Greenwich and Medway Public Health, and will issue updates to students and staff as appropriate.

What financial support is available to me?

If you have concerns about your financial security, you can apply for our Greenwich Hardship Fund where you will be assessed for financial hardship. Support available includes additional IT equipment if needed.  In addition, new undergraduate students from low-income households will be assessed for our Greenwich Bursary. Further information about financial support is available on our website.

How is the university Covid-Safe?

Our Covid-Safe charter sets out our expectations that we expect every member of staff and students to follow in order to help keep everyone at the university safe. You can find more information on our Be Covid-Safe page including all the changes the university has made to make the campus as safe as possible.

It is vital you follow the university guidance to help keep everyone safe.