Health & Safety

Confirmed or Suspected Infectious Illnesses, including COVID19

If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection, a positive COVID test result, are a household contact of a positive COVID case or are self-isolating due to any other infectious illness, please let the University know by using the relevant form below

What should I do if I have symptoms or test positive for an infectious illness?

It is important the University is aware as soon as possible of all suspected or confirmed cases of infectious illnesses within our community of students, staff and others/visitors. This is because we have a responsibility to protect the health of our community.

NOTE: Whilst the legal duty to self-isolate if you have COVID, came to an end on the 24th February 2023, Government advice remains that people who have symptoms of a respiratory illness, e.g. Flu or COVID, should stay at home and avoid contact with other people for at least 5 days. Isolation periods for other types of infectious illness can be found on the NHS and / or Health Protection webpages. We strongly encourage all of our staff and students to follow this advice AND to notify us using the relevant form below.

This will help us take swift action where appropriate to minimise the risk to others and enable us to liaise with external bodies such as the UK Health Security Agency and local authorities to ensure that actions are effective and proportionate.

If you have any questions about how best to isolate, please contact the Health & Safety Unit.

How do I notify the University?

Please read the relevant information below first and then follow the link to the associated form, regardless of whether you have been on campus in the last few days.

STUDENT Notifications

Please do not use this form for any reason other than to tell us about short term infectious illness. If you have an ongoing health condition or vulnerability which requires reasonable adjustments to be made, then please email your request, along with any medical evidence you may have, to

The form accessed below is for University of Greenwich students who are in the UK and attending the university or staying in the halls of residence AND have developed symptoms of a respiratory infection, received a positive COVID test result (Lateral flow or PCR) or have been asked to isolate due to any other short term infectious illness.

Please complete the student notification form to submit your notification.

Note: In addition to completing this form, you must follow the normal notification of absence procedure: If you know you are going to be absent for up to three calendar days, you must submit apologies via the online system here. For absences of more than three calendar days, you must complete an Authorised Absence Form, which must be authorised by your Programme Leader. If your course is not usually delivered online, you must catch up with any missed content via your Moodle resources and meeting your relevant module tutor.

Submission of this notification is also not a claim for extenuating circumstances. If you are unable to attend an exam or submit your coursework as a result of illness, please also visit our Extenuating Circumstances webpage. for more information about how to submit an EC claim.

STAFF Notifications (including PhD students, contractors and visitors to campus)

Staff and PhD students – using the form accessed below, notify the University of self-isolation for any reason (respiratory infection symptoms/a positive COVID test / other infectious illness) and of any difficulties caused by illness or self-isolation.

Contractors and visitors - If you have been on campus in the last seven days, and have developed symptoms of, or have tested positive for, an infectious illness, please complete the Staff reporting form linked below (noting where appropriate your relationship to the University) or call the Safety Unit on 020 8331 9917.

Please complete the staff/PhD notification form to submit your notification.

What happens after I notify the University?

When you submit a notification to us, there are a team of departments waiting to respond and action accordingly. A member of the Health & Safety Team may also contact you, to discuss your circumstances. Please see our protocols for more details about the actions that will be taken.

How will the University process the personal data collected when I notify?

Our Infectious Illness privacy notice details how the University will process personal data for contact tracing and outbreak management.