If you change your course or your mode of study (i.e. full-time to part-time), this could affect your tuition fees, your student support, and your student visa.

Changing course or mode of study is only possible if agreed by your Faculty / Course leader. A change to your course could affect you in a number of ways.

1. Tuition fees

If you change course or your mode of study (e.g. full-time to part-time), your tuition fees may change. This is because:

  • Not all courses are the same fee
  • Your entitlement to student support may change
  • Taking extra or different modules may not be funded by your student support provider.

Once your change is approved, you will need to pay for any increase in your fees. If your fees have reduced, you may also be entitled to a refund.

You can check your tuition fee account balance via the student portal (Student Support | Pay tuition fees online).

2. Student support

Changing your mode of study (e.g. full-time to part-time) will affect the type of student support funding you are eligible for. The funding for full-time and part-time students is different.

The level of support also depends on factors such as the time of year. If you change course and need to undertake an extra year of study, this may affect the funding you receive.

3. Visas (International)

If you are studying with a Tier 4 visa, any change to your course must comply with UK Visa & Immigration rules.

If the course you intend to join is longer than your current course, you will need to return home to apply for a visa extension. There is also a limit to the number of years you can study in the UK.

If the course leader agrees to your change, this must be checked with an International Student Advisor who will confirm if it is allowed under Tier 4 rules.

Book an appointment at the Student Centre on campus.

UKVI must also be informed if you change course. For further advice, email International Support.

4. ATAS Certificates (International)

All non-EEA nationals with limited leave in the UK may require an ATAS certificate (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) to change courses.

This is to safeguard against learning that could be used as a threat to UK national security.

Currently, the following master's courses at Greenwich require an ATAS certificate:

  • BEng, MEng Extended Chemical Engineering (JACS code H800/H300)
  • MSc Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (JACS code H3)
  • MEng Mechanical Engineering (JACS code H3)
  • Associate Postgraduate Studies - Science (JACS code C1/F1)
  • Associate Postgraduate Studies - NRI (JACS code D9)
  • Some MSc by Research, MPhil and PhD projects.

Even if you already have ATAS clearance, you will need to apply for it again if your new course requires it.

5. Equivalent or Lower Qualifications (ELQ)

Home / EU students who are studying for an award at the same or lower level than a qualification they already hold are assessed as studying an ELQ. This may affect the level of student support you can receive.

More about Equivalent and Lower Qualifications.