Fees and funding

Fees assessment

All you need to know about your tuition fee status

How are my tuition fees assessed?

Your fee status is set by our Admissions Department based on the information you provide on your application form. They may need to contact you by email to request further information if they are unable to determine your fee status. If you are unable to provide this information, you may be assessed as overseas for tuition fee purposes.

What determines my fees status?

Your tuition fee status is determined by your nationality and the country where you are ordinarily resident. In accordance with the Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007.

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) provides further information and explains the conditions you need to meet to be entitled to pay tuition fees at the home rate.

Fee status appeals

If you disagree with your fee status classification or your circumstances have changed, you can request a reassessment of your status by completing and submitting this form:

You will need to refer to the specific category within the regulations and submit evidence of your claim as part of your appeal. You may find it helpful to read UKCISA's guide to the fee status regulations.

We aim to process the appeal within 10 working days, from receipt, and if this is not possible, we will convey the anticipated timescale.

Important notice

Please note that by accepting an offer, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions held within that offer, including the fee status. Fee status applies for the duration of the programme. We do not normally change a fee status that was the basis of the offer.

Changing fee status as a current student

You should ensure you are happy with your fee status before you start your course as in most cases your fee status cannot be amended once you have started your studies.

Your fee status could change from the start of the following academic year if you enter one of the following categories:

  • an EU national or the family member of an EU national
  • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker or the family member of such a person
  • a refugee or the spouse, civil partner or child of a refugee
  • a person whose refugee status was not granted but was allowed to remain in the UK with Humanitarian Protection, and their family, or the spouse, civil partner or child of such a person
  • the child of a Swiss national
  • the child of a Turkish worker in the UK
  • Long Residence.

For any of the above cases you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the residency requirements on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

If you are newly entitled to Home and EU fee status

Before submitting a request to change your fee status as a current student, please read the UKCISA guidance carefully to confirm that you meet one of the eligibility criteria to change your status.

You may find that your question has already been answered on the Digital Student Centre.

Most of our students’ questions have been replied to on AskUoG. Here you can check out the most frequently asked questions or raise and enquiry on the Digital Student Centre if your questions is not covered yet.

Alternatively, if you need our detailed advice or continued support, please submit a self-referral [CA1] and we will assess you situation and advise you on next steps.

If you are an applicant, alumni or do not have access to your university account, e-mail us at studentfinance.gre.ac.uk

  • Your copy of the UKCISA guidance note, circling the category that applies to you and writing on it how you meet each requirement
  • a completed fee assessment form
  • a scanned copy of your passport
  • scanned copies of all your immigration documentation (e.g. visa, ID card, letter from Home Office)
  • any other documentation you think may be relevant.