Fees and funding

Students with additional needs

Some students with additional needs (such as a disability or dependant children) may qualify for extra help from Student Finance England.

There are a number of non-repayable grants that you can apply for in addition to your student finance:

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), Disabled Student's Allowances help you to cover any extra costs you face as a result of your condition.

This support is not means-tested. The amount depends on your needs and your mode of study (full-time or part-time).

Apply for DSAs online or complete an application form.

The university provides an in-house service for students with DSA funding for 1-to-1 specialist study skills. This is typically provided Monday to Friday during office hours and is subject to availability. Our non-medical help hourly rates for the period 1 April 2019 - 31 March 2020 are shown below.

Standard Rate (in-person)


Specialist 1:1 Study Skills Support - SpLD


Specialist 1:1 Study Skills Support - AS


Adult Dependants' Grant

The Adult Dependants' Grant provides financial help if you are a full-time student with an adult who depends on you financially. The amount you get depends on your income and the income of your dependants. 

An adult dependant can include:

  • A spouse or civil partner
  • A partner, if you are over 25
  • Another dependant adult (usually a family member) who earns less than £3,796 a year.

Grown-up children do not count as adult dependants.

Apply for your Adult Dependants' Grant online.

You can apply before or during your course.

Parents' Learning Allowance

If you are a full-time student with children, you may qualify for extra financial help to pay for books, materials and travel. The amount you get depends on your household income and does not affect any benefits or tax credit you receive.

Apply for Parents' Learning Allowance online.

You can apply before or during your course.

Childcare Grant

Full-time students can get up to 85% of their childcare costs, depending on household income and the number of children. Your children must be registered with an approved childcare provider. You are not eligible if your spouse receives the childcare element of Working Tax Credit.

Download a Childcare Grant (CCG1) form.

You can apply before or during your course.

Child tax credits are assessed in the same way as other income-related benefits. You can apply online by telephoning 0845 300 3900.