After your have finished your studies, you'll want to know what your options are. Whether you're going on to further studies, employment, or switching into another visa category, we've got all the information you need.

Visa information for students after graduation

As an international student, you may be thinking about your options at the end of your studies. If you want to stay in the UK to work or undertake further study, you will need to apply for a new visa.

Your Tier 4 visa should be valid for a period of between two and four months at the end of your programme. You can use this time to apply for a different visa or to arrange to leave the UK. Providing you have fully completed your studies (your official course end date in your CAS statement has passed), you can usually work full-time during this period. See our information on working in the UK for more detail.

If you are interested in undertaking further study in the UK, or are thinking about switching into a another type of visa, you should look at your options early. This will give you plenty of time to prepare after graduation.

Graduate Visa Route 2021

In September 2019, the UK government announced a statement of intent to introduce a new graduate visa route. If introduced, this route would allow international students to remain in the UK for two years after they have completed their studies. As explained in the Home Office Factsheet, this route will apply to students who graduate from summer 2021.

Please note, if introduced, this new visa route will be part of the new immigration system due to be introduced in 2021. As it is not yet passed into law, detailed information on the route is not yet available.

Tier 2 visas

Find out about the Tier 2 work visa route and how to apply

Start Up Visa

Information about the Start Up Visa.

Doctorate Extension Scheme

Information about the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme visa (D.E.S)

Applying for further study in the UK

Information you need to know if you are planning to undertake further study in the UK

Visas for graduation ceremonies

How to apply for a visa to attend your graduation ceremony