Visas and Immigration for study in the UK

Doing further study in the UK

If you want to continue with your studies after graduation, you will need to extend your visa. This could be with Greenwich or at another university.

There are many reasons for choosing to undertake further studies in the UK. The University of Greenwich has a fantastic range of postgraduate programmes for you to consider.

You might find that completing a further course will enhance your career options.  Also, if you really enjoy your subject, progressing to the next level will allow you to deepen your knowledge and specialise in certain aspects of your field.

Before you start applying for further study, make sure you research all of the options available, so that you understand how it fits in with your career plans. You should consider important details such as funding for your programme and how you will support yourself whilst you will be studying.

Applying for a new student visa for further study

There are a few things you need to consider before applying for further study in the UK.

  • There is a maximum time limit on bachelor's / undergraduate level study with a student visa. This is usually 5 years in total. This limit is set by UKVI in the immigration rules
  • UKVI require students to demonstrate they are progressing academically. As long as your new programme is at a higher level than your previous programme, this should not be a problem. But if you are thinking about starting a programme that is at the same level as your previous programme (for example a 2nd master's degree), you will need to consider how this fits in with your previous studies and your career plans and explain this clearly in your application for a place on your chosen programme. Not all applications for study at the same level can be approved for student that new a new student visa, however, the university may offer you a place, if you have satisfied certain criteria
  • If you will be making a student visa extension application within the UK, for your new programme, there should not be more than a 28 day gap between your visa expiry date and the new programme start date

Getting your new visa in time

You need to make sure that you apply for your new student visa in time. If you are applying from within the UK, it is extremely important that you submit your application before before your current visa expires. You will also have to make your visa application before starting your new programme, unless you have just completed a programme with us.

If you will stay at the University of Greenwich for further studies, you will still need to apply for a new visa but you will have a bit longer to do this. You will usually have to provide evidence that you have applied within 6 weeks of starting your new programme (or before your current visa expires, whichever is the sooner).

If you need advice on what the immigration rules will allow you to do, you are welcome to contact the International Student Advice Service.

If you will be studying at a different University, we strongly recommend that you get advice from your new institution about their deadlines for getting a CAS and registering for your new programme. They should be able to help you make your new visa application.

Preparing your visa application

Please see our guidance on preparing a visa application from within the UK. If you are applying to study at a new institution, you should also refer to any guidance that they have published.