Visas and Immigration for study in the UK

International Student Advice Service

The International Student Advice Service provides free and confidential immigration advice to applicants, students and graduates of the university.

International Student Advice Service

Our highly experienced and professional International Student Advisers specialise in UK student immigration and can help with a wide range of immigration-related matters.

This includes:

  • Student Visa applications
  • Student Visa refusals and administrative reviews
  • The Graduate Route Visa - applications and issues
  • Visa curtailment (cancellation of your visa by UKVI)
  • ATAS
  • Lost passports and Biometric Residence Permits (BRP's)
  • Studying in the UK with Visitor status
  • Dependant visa applications (your partner or children)
  • Visit visas for family and friends to visit you in the UK
  • Changes to your programme of study
  • Post-study work visa options (UK work visas)
  • Schengen visas
  • Applications under the EU Settlement Scheme

We may also where appropriate and with your consent advocate on your behalf.  This means  with your permission, we may contact UKVI on your behalf, or other government departments or organisations, or help you get your point across to other teams in the university.

We also provide support with non-immigration matters related to living in the UK, such as opening bank accounts, accessing the NHS and your personal safety.

All advice provided by the International Student Advice Service is free and confidential.

If the International Student Advice Service is unable to provide the specific advice that you need, we will help you to find a service that can assist. The university has a wide range of internal services, and we also work closely with external partners including the Students' Union and GK Student Unions.

Please see our Statement of Service for full details about the level of service we offer.

Accessing the Service

The International Student Advice Service is available to you, if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You hold a current offer to study at the University of Greenwich
  • You are a registered student of the university
  • You were a registered student of the university within the last 6 months
  • You are a graduate and are currently sponsored by the university under the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme, Start-up Route, or Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

We currently offer appointments via Microsoft Teams or by phone.  Please email us at with details of your queries or situation.

If your query is complex, you may be asked to book an appointment (which will take place online or via the phone) to discuss your enquiry in detail.

Pre-Booked Appointments

We offer individual, confidential appointments with an International Student Adviser. We offer appointments in person, through MS Teams (video) or on the phone, according to your preference. To book an appointment please email us at

All appointments are 30 minutes long. If you have a complex query, please ask for a double appointment.


Our drop-in service is currently unavailable. However, our International Student Advisers remain available to support you. Please contact us at with your query or to book an appointment via telephone or video-conference.

Confidential Service

All advice provided by the International Student Advice Service is completely confidential. We will not discuss your case with anyone, unless:

Regulatory Information

The university adheres with all current regulations for the delivery of immigration advice. Immigration advice provided by the International Student Advice Service complies with the Code of Standards published by Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Please note that this does not apply to advice provided on non-immigration matters.

Other Sources of Information

The university is a member of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). Students may contact UKCISA directly for independent advice; their website is also a very useful and reliable source of information.

The UK Visas & Immigration website has useful information and contains links to the various visa application forms and guidance documents.

If you would prefer to seek professional immigration advice from elsewhere, you should only use a regulated immigration adviser.


We aim to always provide a professional and friendly service. However, if you wish to make a complaint about our services, you should do this via the university official complaints procedure.