From 1 August 2017, new students beginning healthcare courses (including midwifery, nursing, paramedic science, and speech and language therapy) will apply for a maintenance loan.

New students in midwifery, nursing, paramedic science, speech & language therapy

You apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for support with tuition fees and living costs. Any loan you receive for living costs will depend on your household income, your age, where you will study and where you will live.

The maximum rates available are:

Full-time students

2018-19 academic year 

Living with parents

Up to £7,324

Living away from home (London)

Up to £11,354

Living away from home (not London)

Up to £8,700

Living and studying abroad for at least one term

Up to £9,963

Use the student finance calculator to estimate how much you are entitled to.

You may also qualify for further support if you are a single parent and/or in receipt of means-tested benefits or Disabled Living Allowance.

Apply for student finance.

Did you begin before 1 August 2017?

If you began a healthcare course before 1 August 2017 with an NHS bursary, you will receive this for the duration of your course if you do not interrupt your studies.

Students who have paused their studies or withdrawn

If you have interrupted or withdrawn from your studies and intend to return to the course, you may still be eligible for an NHS bursary. 

Contact NHSBSA for further information.

Additional allowances

In addition to the loans available for tuition fees and living costs, the NHS provides a non-repayable bursary to assist you with the additional costs of travelling to compulsory clinical placements. If you are a parent, you may also get a non-means-tested sum. 

Visit the NHS website for updates.