Find out how it works, where you can go and how to apply.

Students who study abroad spend a term or year of their degree at one of our international partner universities. 

Your academic department will help you to choose courses that align with your degree programme at Greenwich, and the grades you bring back will count towards your degree.

When and where can you study abroad

  • Most undergraduate students who study abroad are able to do so during the second year of their degree. 
  • Where you can study abroad depends on your faculty and your programme. To find the list of partner universities for your faculty, please click here.

Funding and Grants

Tuition Fees 

You will pay your tuition fees to the University of Greenwich as normal - there are no additional tuition fees. However, UK students participating in a full-year exchange will be entitled to a reduced tuition fee for that year - for 2019/20 this is £1385. International students are ineligible for a tuition fee reduction.

Student Loans

If you are entitled to receive loans from Student Finance England, you should apply in the usual way. It is important however that you notify Student Finance England that you are planning to study abroad as this will affect the amount of any student loan that you receive. Student Finance England also have travel grants available to help with travelling to your host institution.

Erasmus+ Grant

Students accepted onto the programme will be considered for an Erasmus+ grant of either €370 or €420 per month, depending on the host country. There is also an additional €120 or €20 grant available for students with a household income of £25000 or less, completing study abroad and work abroad placements respectively. Please note that grants are not guaranteed for each student and are not intended to cover all costs.


Successful applicants to the programme will receive guidance from their host university regarding applying for on-campus or private accommodation. The majority of study abroad students choose to live in on-campus accommodation provided by the host university. 


  • Your Faculty Erasmus Coordinator is responsible for approving your choice of courses at the host university in advance of your exchange
  • Most universities in Europe use ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits. Students need 30 ECTS per term, the equivalent to 60 UoG credits.
  • Your marks from your assessments at the host institution will be translated and will count towards your University of Greenwich degree classification. The University's grade translation policy can be found here.

How to apply