Fees and funding

Undergraduate loans

Many new students apply for a student loan to fund their studies. The process for this depends on factors such as where you come from.

If you join us during Clearing and your student loan application with Student Finance England is delayed, we can offer temporary loans of up to £500 to help you get started at university.

Students living in England

If you live in England and are entering higher education at undergraduate level, visit Student Finance England for more information on the types of support available and how to apply.

Students living in other parts of the UK

Students living in other parts of the UK have their own funding arrangements for student support. Visit the following websites for further information:

It is wise to keep all correspondence with finance bodies for future reference. You should also store your login in a safe place, as you need to reapply for support every year and SFE does not re-issue login details.

EU nationals

EU Nationals intending to study in England may be entitled to apply for a tuition fee loan. Check your eligibility by using SFE's form finder.

More on the UK's decision to leave the European Union.

International students

International students may be able to apply for other sources of funding, such as scholarships or bursaries. See funding your studies.

Important information

  • You must sign and return your Student Loan Declaration letter to receive your Maintenance Loan into your bank account when you begin your studies.
  • Student support is usually split into instalments, which are paid at the start of each term. Once you complete registration, Student Finance England will release your first payment. This can take 2-3 days to reach your account.
  • If you miss the application deadline, Student Finance England may not release your funding for September. In such cases, short-term emergency loans are available for full-time home undergraduates until your first payment arrives. Apply for this by visiting your campus Student Centre.

If you have studied a higher education course previously, you may not be eligible for a Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loan. It is important to review the rules and regulations on withdrawing, interrupting or transferring onto a new course as this can affect your access to support.

Contact us for more information.