Postgraduate prospectus

Award of Institutional Credit in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education

This Award of Institutional Credit in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (ALTHE) is an ideal first step towards a full teaching qualification in higher education.

This blended-learning course is designed for those with limited teaching experience, such as part-time staff, or those who do training, teaching assistant and support roles. The course is ideal for:

  • Professionals with limited teaching responsibilities
  • Those in a non-academic role with student-facing work
  • Anyone wishing to complete the PGCert HE over two years
  • Postgraduate researchers looking to build an academic career
  • Teachers with professional/non-traditional qualifications

The course is taught online, with online materials, activities and webinars. Teaching observations and one-to-one tutorials are also included. Support is provided by the course team, your allocated personal tutor and mentors.


School of Education


1 years part-time

Start month


Home/international fees

Fees information

What you should know about this course

  • The course is taught fully online, using web tools to create a socially interactive experience.
  • This course is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) for Associate Fellowship (additional fee applies for HEA certification for external participants).
  • The course provides a basis for progression into a PGCert in Higher Education or equivalent HE teaching qualification.

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

Welcome to our Award of Institutional Credit in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (ALTHE). The course team comes from a range of academic backgrounds and we have extensive experience working in HE and other areas of education. We are all qualified teachers and have experience in both teacher education and other disciplines.

Entry requirements

If you are

You should have an honours degree or equivalent professional qualification and/or qualifications and experience appropriate to your specialist area that qualify you for teaching in higher education.

You'll need to provide written confirmation of 25 hours teaching at higher education level (4-7) during the period of registration. At least 10 hours should take place in the first term. This may include a range of teaching activity, such as tutorials or one-to-one supervisions.

Your own institution/department should also supply an approved mentor for the programme

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

The University of Greenwich accepts a broad range of international qualifications for admission to our courses.

For detailed information on the academic and English language requirements, please find your country in our directory.

Alternatively, please contact us:

Available to overseas students?


Can I use prior learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn

This section helps you understand more about how you'll learn based on standard delivery of teaching and learning on campus.

However, as a response to COVID-19 we are currently operating a 'blended model' of teaching and learning (except for distance-learning courses). This means a combination of face-to-face sessions on our campuses with online lectures. There is additional support for any students who are unable to attend campus because they are ill or shielding. We'll continue to offer blended learning to all our students, in line with government guidelines, for as long as we are advised to. If government or local authority rules require it, we may be limited to offering online-only learning but will return to blended learning as soon as we are safely able to do so.

You can find out more about how we are supporting our students.

Learning experience

Teaching is online using a range of web-based tools to facilitate teaching, discussion, debate and assessment. This includes weekly webinars and interactive tasks for you to work on either individually or in collaboration with other course participants. 

We aim to model a range of teaching, learning and assessment practices that you can critique and then adapt to your own context.

Class sizes

Study on the ALTHE aligns with the first module on the PGCert HE, so typically there will be around 70-80 participants.

Independent learning

Outside of timetabled sessions, you will need to dedicate time to self-study to complete group-based formative tasks, individual formative tasks and summative assessments. Our library and online resources will support your further reading and research.

Overall workload

Your overall workload consists of contact hours (lectures, seminars, etc), independent learning, and assessments. You should anticipate four to six hours of work per week, although this may intensify during assessment periods.


On the course you are expected to complete two individual formative assessments (one audio assessment and one written), a group based task and two summatives. The first summative is in the form of a written critical reflection and the second is the compilation of a professional practice portfolio.

Feedback summary

Information coming soon.

Dates and timetables

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

Fees information International fees

Fees are assessed based on your country of domicile, with students domiciled in the EU charged international fees. If you are unsure, find out more about how your fee status is assessed.

There is a range of financial support available to support your studies. This includes postgraduate loans, international scholarships, and options for current students and alumni to continue studying at the university. EU students may be eligible for a bursary to support their study. View our EU bursary to find out more.

We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Other costs

You will need a computer or laptop with a webcam and audio functions (microphone and headset). External participants should also note that the HEA Associate Fellowship costs a further £100.

Careers and placements

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

Most of our course graduates are already employed but some have used the course as a platform to change the nature of existing roles or to support applications for teaching focussed roles in HE institutions.

Do you provide employability services?

Information coming soon.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We provide inductions to the software we use and the formative tasks are designed to help you adjust to writing at Level 7 in a discipline (education) that you may not be accustomed to.

Support from the department

We offer one-to-one tutoring throughout the course. You are entitled to make appointments at mutually conducive times and these can be face-to-face or online

Accommodation pages

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate taught prospectus or check our related courses below.

Education studies at the University of Greenwich

Take a degree in education studies at a university with more than a hundred years’ experience training teachers and learn from award-winning, research-active lecturers.

Visit our education studies subject page.

Education and Community Studies at the University of Greenwich

Our Education and Community Studies programmes provide a sound foundation for those wishing to work with, or understand the education of, children and young people from infant to adult.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK or EU student and want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK or EU student and want to study part-time then you apply to the university directly.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.

If you are a Non-EU student, you can apply directly via our website or through one of our agents. Please note that if you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will not be able to study as a part-time student at undergraduate level.