Join our Postgraduate Virtual Open Event

Book now

Join our Postgraduate Virtual Open Event

Book now

Postgraduate courses 2024/25

Child and Adolescent Psychology, MSc

Passionate about helping children and young people? Study a Master’s in Child and Adolescent Psychology.

This course is ideal if you are interested in careers working with children and young people. You will gain an in-depth understanding of current issues in child and adolescent psychology and learn to apply this theory to real-life settings by undertaking a placement. You will also conduct a substantial piece of research in child and adolescent psychology and choose from one of three optional modules.

For those looking for a research career in developmental psychology, our teaching staff are active researchers in their fields. You will receive training in advanced statistics and research methods which will prepare you for further postgraduate research. We have well-equipped facilities and laboratories and pride ourselves on combining high-quality teaching with world-class research.


Greenwich Campus


  • 1 years full-time
  • 2 years part-time

Start month


Home/international fees 2024/25

£11,000 /£17,450

What you should know about this course

  • Number one in London for graduate prospects (2022 Complete University Guide Annual League Table - Psychology).
  • Our department is a trusted provider of excellent academic degrees and vocational training. We are consistently rated highly in the National Student Survey.
  • Located across the University's iconic Greenwich Campus.

Child & Adolescent Psychology, MSc

Want to find out what studying Child & Adolescent Psychology at the University of Greenwich is like? Hear from one of our academics.

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

Welcome to our MSc in Child and Adolescent Psychology. Your teaching comes from an experienced team of lecturers who combine high-quality teaching with world-class research.

Come and meet us

We are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you.

Next Open Days

Got a question?

To find out more about our Open Days and Campus Tours or if you need any assistance, please email

Entry requirements

If you are

An undergraduate (honours) degree at 2:2, or above, in Psychology accredited by the BPS
An undergraduate (honours) degree at 2:2, or above, in a relevant subject and successful completion of a research methods assessment.

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

The University of Greenwich accepts a broad range of international qualifications for admission to our courses. If you cannot find your country on this list, please contact

Choose your country:

Further information about entry

Future Paths

This course provides an ideal foundation for graduates who aspire to further training and professional careers in academic or applied psychology, but also education and social care, relating to children and adolescents.

This MSc does not provide eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) with the British Psychological Society (BPS), which is required in order to pursue further training in BPS accredited psychology pathways in UK (e.g., educational, clinical or counselling psychology). This is because GBC is typically obtained via a BPS accredited undergraduate psychology degree OR a postgraduate psychology conversion degree (we offer the MSc Psychology Conversion degree here at Greenwich). If you studied Psychology overseas, it may also be possible to obtain GBC, if your undergraduate degree contained sufficient psychology content, as reviewed by the BPS (you must apply to the BPS directly).

If you subsequently want to work as a psychologist with children and adolescents in another country, please look into the career pathways specific to that system.

Placements that involve working with children / young people under 18 years
Overseas applicants

If you are an overseas student, currently living overseas, or have spent a lot of time living abroad during the last 5 years, you must obtain a Police Certificate of Good Conduct from the Local Law Enforcement body of that country. This must be issued in English by your local police station. You should obtain this before arriving in the UK.

See UK government guidance.

All applicants

All applicants who wish to take placements that involve working directly with children and young people under 18 years must complete an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check and an occupational health check once they start the course. For overseas students, this is in addition to the international Police Certificate of Good Conduct. Working in a placement may involve travel. It is the university expectation that the travel costs, as well as the cost of any required police checks, will be covered by the student.

If you already hold an Enhanced DBS disclosure in the UK that is registered with the Update Service, it may be possible to use this instead.

Available to overseas students?


Can I use Prior Learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn


In a typical week, learning takes place through a combination of lectures and seminars. You will be able to discuss and develop your understanding of topics covered in lectures in smaller group sessions. Contact hours may fall between 9am and 9pm, depending on your elective courses and tutorials.

Class sizes

Information coming soon.

Independent learning

Outside of timetabled sessions, you will need to dedicate time to self-study to prepare for coursework, presentations and exams. Our library and online resources will support your further reading and research. You can also join a range of student societies, including law and debating.

Overall workload

Your overall workload consists of contact hours (lectures, seminars, etc), independent learning, and assessments. For full-time students, the workload should be roughly equivalent to a full-time job. For part-time students, this will reduce in proportion with the number of modules you are studying.


You will be assessed by coursework including essays, portfolios, oral presentations, practical research reports, and research posters and examinations.

You will also be required to produce an independent piece of work based on your work placement and an independent project reporting on a substantial research area including the collection of empirical data or equivalent.

Feedback summary

Information coming soon.

Dates and timetables

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

Full time Part time Distance learning
Home £11,000 £1,850 per 30 credits N/A
International £17,450 £2,908 per 30 credits N/A

Accommodation costs

Whether you choose to live in halls of residence or rent privately, we can help you find what you're looking for. University accommodation is available from £126.35 per person per week (bills included), depending on your location and preferences. If you require more space or facilities, these options are available at a slightly higher cost.

Accommodation pages

Funding your study

There is a range of financial support options available to support your studies, including the Aspire@Greenwich award for study resources that many full-time students will receive.

EU students may be eligible for a bursary to support their study. View our EU bursary to find out more.

Discover more about grants, student loans, bursaries and scholarships. We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Further costs may include (but are not limited to):

  • Travel costs: you cover the cost of travelling to placements (typically ten trips).

Careers and placements

Will I have a work placement?

Yes, this is part of the compulsory placement module.

How long is my placement?

70 hours, usually spread across ten weeks.

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

Your training in applying cutting-edge developmental theory and research to real-life settings will enable you to pursue careers working with children and adolescents. You will also be able to pursue careers in research and be well-placed to undertake doctoral study.

Do you provide employability services?

Our services are designed to help you achieve your potential and support your transition towards a rewarding graduate career.

The Employability and Careers Service provides support when you are preparing to apply for placements and graduate roles. It includes CV clinics, mock interviews and employability skills workshops.

Each School also has its own Employability Officer, who works closely with the industry and will provide specific opportunities relevant to your own course.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We want you to make the most of your time with us. You can access study skills support through your tutor, our subject librarians, and our online academic skills centre.

Where appropriate, we provide support in academic English and mathematics. If you need to use particular IT packages for a specific module, we provide training for this.

Support from the department

We have well-equipped facilities on campus to support all your needs, including state-of-the-art laboratories.

Accommodation information

Skip image gallery

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate courses or check our related courses below.....

Psychology at the University of Greenwich

Gain an understanding of human behaviour and mental processes and develop your research skills. Many of our courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society and some include study in fields related to psychology, such as counselling.

Visit our psychology degrees page.

Study Psychology at Greenwich

What do you aspire to be? Our BPS accredited courses provide the foundation for people interested in becoming Practitioner Psychologists.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study part-time then you can apply directly via our online application form.

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply via UCAS, directly via our online application form or via one of our in-country representatives. If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.