Postgraduate prospectus

Human Sciences, MPhil/PhD

Our doctoral programme in Human Sciences allows you to conduct cutting-edge research in fields including Psychology, Social Work, Public Health and Sports Science with support from our experts.

When you undertake a research degree (MPhil/PhD) at our School of Human Sciences, you are supported by a team of world-leading experts and active researchers. You also get access to a range of state-of-the-art facilities, including observation laboratories, eye-tracking capabilities, EEG, Edu-Logger, Nexus 4 and Biotrace.

As a research student in Human Sciences, you join a community of research students and benefit from the resources, community, and events at our Institute for Lifecourse Development (ILD). There are opportunities for PhD students to gain support with research costs and to present their research at national and international conferences.


  • 1.5 - 4 years full-time
  • 2.5 - 7 years part-time

Start month

September; January

Home/international fees

2021/22 fees

What you should know about this course

  • The standard entry route requires you to register as an MPhil/PhD student in Human Sciences and to transfer to PhD once you have demonstrated satisfactory progress.
  • We have several subject endorsement pathways so that you can specialise your research in Psychology, Social Work, Public Health or Sports Science.
  • You will work with a team of 3 supervisors who will provide ongoing support and guidance.
  • Flexible registration with both full and part-time routes available.

PhD Opportunities

The Institute for Lifecourse Development supports postgraduate research. Find out more about our current PhD opportunities.

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

We are a team of academics in the School of Human Sciences who are highly experienced academics and practitioners from various disciplines including Psychology, Social Work, Public Health and Sports Science.

Come and meet us

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you.

Next Open Days

Got a question?

To find out more about our Open Days and Campus Tours or if you need any assistance, please email

Entry requirements

If you are

Applicants should have:

  • A taught Master's degree, with a minimum average of 60% in all areas of assessment (e.g. Merit or above), in a generic subject area relevant to the subject matter of the proposed research project, and/or
  • A First Class or Second Class, First Division (Upper Second Class) Honours degree in a subject area relevant to the proposed research project.

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

The University of Greenwich accepts a broad range of international qualifications for admission to our courses.

For detailed information on the academic and English language requirements, please find your country in our directory.

Alternatively, please contact us:

Further information about entry

Before applying, please make informal contact with a potential supervisor within the School to express your interest and discuss your proposal.

When you apply online, attach a single PDF which includes the following documents: 1) a research proposal (approx. 1,500 words), 2) a personal statement outlining your motivation for a PhD and previous research experience, 3) a complete tabular CV, 4) transcripts of all degrees, 5) two reference letters, and 6) evidence of language proficiency (if relevant).

Your personal statement should name the supervisor you had a discussion with. You can include a Gantt chart at the end of your proposal as a schedule for your PhD project (excluded from the word count).

  • Psychology, Pathway Lead -  Dr Sandhiran Patchay
    • Social psychology
    • Health, clinical and counselling psychology
    • Developmental psychology
    • Forensic psychology
    • Organisational psychology
    • Personality psychology
    • Cognitive psychology
    • Cognitive and social neuroscience
    • Neurodevelopment
    • Psychedelic Research

The MPhil/PhD in Social Work aims at enabling someone to develop and promote knowledge in an expert area. The programme also offers the chance to make an original and valuable contribution to one or more of the aspects of Social Work, including policy, practice or education. PhDs in Social Work are highly respected in the field and set apart PhD-qualified practitioners from practitioners more generally. Being research-active informs practice, while social work is an evidence-based profession. PhDs in Social Work provide the opportunity to develop further skills which are transferable in the field; inclusive of these are the ability to construct service evaluation designs and lead on such projects, and the skills to identify and manage ethical risks. Universities increasingly require staff to hold a PhD as standard, including in the delivery of social work education.

  • Human Rights
  • Gerontological Social Work
  • Financial Social Work
  • Child Protection and Adult Safeguarding
  • Domestic Abuse and Violence
  • Mental Health Social Work
  • Anti-discriminatory and anti-oppressive practice
  • Religion and belief in social work practice
  • Hospice and End of Life care
  • Thanatology (death, dying and bereavement)
  • Trauma and loss
  • Covid-19 and social work
  • Technology and social work
  • Migration and social work
  • International and transnational social work
  • LGBTQ+

Available to overseas students?


Can I use prior learning?

Find out more on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

How you will learn

Covid safe teaching and learning

We are looking forward to welcoming students to our campuses for 2021/22 and we are committed to delivering as much of our teaching, learning and student activity as possible face-to-face and on campus for the 2021/22 academic year. Please note that UK Coronavirus policy continues to adapt to ongoing changes. Our plans may need to change and we may need to move activity online at short notice in response to any changes in Government guidance and Covid safety requirements.


There are advertised research study days but most of the teaching takes the form of regular supervision meetings with members of the supervisory team.

Class sizes

Information coming soon.

Independent learning

The majority of your work is in the form of independent learning. Our libraries and online resources will support your further reading and research.

Overall workload

Independent research, but also training in research, teaching and transferable skills. Postgraduate research events such as talks, seminars and conferences. You will be expected to keep a record of your research activities, skills and training in a portfolio and upload it.


As your MPhil/PhD progresses, you will move through several review points including a transfer viva to ensure good progress and high quality-work. You will be assessed through your research thesis. Following your submission, you will have an oral examination.

Feedback summary

Once a postgraduate research student has submitted their thesis for examination, the examination should take place within three months of the date the Faculty Research Degrees Committee approves the examination arrangements.

Dates and timetables

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

* Calculated as an average of compulsory and optional modules (where applicable each year). You can find out more detail about how individual modules are taught within the 'What you will study' section.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

2020/2021 fees

Full-time (per year) Part-time (per 30 credits)
View fees

* January 2021 starters pay the 2020/2021 fees.

2021/2022 fees

Full-time (per year) Part-time (per 30 credits)
View fees

Fees are assessed based on your country of domicile, with students domiciled in the EU charged international fees. If you are unsure, find out more about how your fee status is assessed.

Accommodation costs

Whether you choose to live in halls of residence or rent privately, we can help you find what you're looking for. We have dedicated accommodation for postgraduate students (Devonport House) available from just £160 per person per week, with bills included. If you require more space or facilities, these options are available at a slightly higher cost. Students based at the Medway Campus can also reside in student halls in Chatham or rent privately in the local area.

There is a range of financial support available to support your studies. This includes postgraduate loans, international scholarships, and options for current students and alumni to continue studying at the university. EU students may be eligible for a bursary to support their study. View our EU bursary to find out more.

We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Careers and placements

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

You will be well equipped for a research career within universities, private research organisations, charities or government departments.

Do you provide employability services?

We have a growing postdoctoral and early career researcher community within the Institute for Lifecourse Development. Equally, the mandatory postgraduate research training provides you with training, accreditation and experience of research and teaching in Higher Education.

The University also offers a careers service which postgraduate students can access.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We want you to make the most of your time with us. You can access study skills support through your tutor, our subject librarians, and our online academic skills centre. There are research-related modules that you may benefit from. For further details contact the programme leader. You can also drop into relevant undergraduate and Master's programmes, upon agreement with the teaching teams.

Support from the department

In addition to the core postgraduate researcher training, the Research and Enterprise Training Institute (RETI) also run additional training courses aimed at the training needs of postgraduate research students.

Accommodation information

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate research prospectus or check our related courses below.

Health and social care at the University of Greenwich

As a health and social care student at Greenwich, you can expect research-active expert tutors, work placements and great job prospects thanks to our strong links with social care providers.

Visit our health and social care subject page.

New £5,000-a-year bursaries

From September 2020, students in nursing, midwifery, paramedic science, and speech & language therapy may be entitled to receive at least £5,000 a year towards their studies.

PE, Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Greenwich

Develop your passion for sports and physical education at one of the only London universities with on-campus sports pitches and benefit from our strong links with Charlton Athletic FC.

Visit our PE, sport and exercise science subject page.

PE, Sport and Exercise Science

If you want to share your passion for PE, Sport and Exercise Science with the next generation, we've got the right course for you. We're one of the few London universities with an extensive range of sports facilities on campus, including all-weather floodlit sports pitches, an indoor Astro Turf airdrome and a new strength and conditioning lab.

Psychology at the University of Greenwich

Study psychology at Greenwich and you will gain a deep understanding of human behaviour and mental processes while developing the research and critical-thinking skills that employers value.

Visit our psychology subject page.

Study Psychology at Greenwich

What do you aspire to be? Our BPS accredited courses provide the foundation for people interested in becoming Practitioner Psychologists.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study part-time then you apply to the university directly.

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply through our website, one of our agents, or the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply through our website, one of our agents, or the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS). If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.