Join our Postgraduate Virtual Open Event

Book now

Join our Postgraduate Virtual Open Event

Book now

Postgraduate courses 2024/25

Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (Health Visiting and School Nursing), PGDip

Nurses and midwives with a degree who want to move into health visiting or school nursing can take the first step with this diploma in specialist community public health nursing.

Our one-year course is suited to qualified nurses and midwives who wish to undertake the specialist community public health nursing course at postgraduate level. During the year you will develop the knowledge and skills required to deliver a range of services including prevention, early intervention and safeguarding for children aged 0-19 and their families. Our course leads to a nationally recognised qualification and registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council .

We deliver this course in partnership with local community healthcare and service providing organisations. It is intended to meet the needs and expectations of the contemporary public health agenda so you can make a difference to the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities.


  • 1 years full-time
  • 2 years part-time

Start month


Home fees 2024/25


What you should know about this course

  • This postgraduate diploma leads to a nationally recognised qualification and registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
  • You can study full-time or part-time (if supported by the sponsoring health care provider) at our Avery Hill Campus.
  • Nursing and Midwifery at Greenwich is number one in London for satisfaction with teaching (Guardian League Tables 2022).

What you will study


Course information is currently unavailable for this programme. Please contact for more information.

About the course team

Welcome to our Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (Health Visiting and School Nursing) PGDip. Your teaching comes from an experienced team of lecturers. These include academics and practitioners with a wide range of community and public health experience. All of our core teaching team holds a teaching qualification.

Come and meet us

We are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you.

Next Open Days

Got a question?

To find out more about our Open Days and Campus Tours or if you need any assistance, please email

Entry requirements

An undergraduate (honours) degree at 2:2, or above.

For more information, contact or 020 8331 9000.

You can also read our admissions policy.

Further information about entry

You also need to be currently registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

Applicants should be post registration graduate level nurses or midwives who wish to pursue a career in health visiting or school nursing.

Available to overseas students?


Can I use Prior Learning?

There is a potential for recognition of prior learning if you have undertaken a module as part of a SCPHN programme previously or at another institution.

How you will learn


Typically, students will attend University two days per week and practice two days per week with one day directed study.

There are blocks of both theory and practice with ten weeks in practice to consolidate learning at the end of the course.

Teaching methods include lectures, seminars, online and self-directed learning.

Class sizes

Information coming soon.

Independent learning

In addition to face-to-face teaching and directed study, you will be expected to undertake self-directed study and research resources and evidence to support your individual learning needs.

Overall workload

This course is made up of 50% theory and 50% practice and equates to a full-time job. You will also be expected to undertake additional independent study.


You will be assessed through essays, case studies, examinations, presentations, and assessment in practice.

Feedback summary

Information coming soon.

Dates and timetables

Full teaching timetables are not usually available until term has started. For any queries, please call 020 8331 9000.

Fees and funding

Your time at university should be enjoyable, rewarding, and free of unnecessary stress. Planning your finances before you come to university can help to reduce financial concerns. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.

Full time Part time Distance learning

Accommodation costs

Whether you choose to live in halls of residence or rent privately, we can help you find what you're looking for. University accommodation is available from £126.35 per person per week (bills included), depending on your location and preferences. If you require more space or facilities, these options are available at a slightly higher cost.

Accommodation pages

Funding your study

There is a range of financial support options available to support your studies, including the Aspire@Greenwich award for study resources that many full-time students will receive.

Discover more about grants, student loans, bursaries and scholarships. We also provide advice and support on budgeting, money management and financial hardship.

Financial support

Further costs may include (but are not limited to):

  • Resources: you can access books in the library and online, but you may wish to purchase your own copies.
  • Registration: there will be an additional registration cost with your professional body when you successfully complete the programme. There may also be an additional cost to record the prescribing qualification. Visit the NMC website.
  • Travel: you will face the cost of travel to your practice placement areas and university. (Your employer will advise you where you will be based.) Once you undertake independent visits within your organisation, you usually receive expenses for work-related travel, but you'll need to confirm this with your employer.
  • Insurance: you are bound by your employment contract to ensure, where required, that you have car insurance to cover work activity.

Careers and placements

Will I have a work placement?

You will be sponsored and employed by a community healthcare service provider (normally NHS service provider) who will be responsible for providing your practice placement for the duration of the course.

How long is my placement?

Your placement will be for the full course year as per the terms and conditions of your community health care service provider contract.

What are the financial arrangements?

Currently your community health care service provider will pay an annual salary.  You are encouraged to ask about this during the recruitment stage as this may vary between organisations.

What sort of careers do graduates pursue?

On completion of this course, you will be eligible to work in a wide range of health, education and social care settings delivering on the public health agenda.

Do you provide employability services?

Students will normally be offered jobs within the community health care provider organisations that have sponsored them although this is not guaranteed.

Our services are designed to help you achieve your potential and support your transition towards a rewarding graduate career.

The Employability and Careers Service provides support when you are preparing to apply for placements and graduate roles. It includes CV clinics, mock interviews and employability skills workshops.

Each School also has its own Employability Officer, who works closely with the industry and will provide specific opportunities relevant to your own course.

Support and advice

Academic skills and study support

We want you to make the most of your time with us. You can access study skills support through your tutor, our subject librarians, and our online academic skills centre.

Where appropriate, we provide support in academic English and mathematics. If you need to use particular IT packages for a specific module, we provide training for this.

Support from the department

Each student has a named personal tutor in University and practice teacher in practice. There is additional support available from a link tutor who will regularly visit the practice placement area.

Accommodation information

Skip image gallery

Not quite what you were looking for?

We've got plenty of other courses for you to choose from. Browse our postgraduate courses or check our related courses below.....

Health and social care at the University of Greenwich

You’ll learn from our expert, research-active tutors and be well supported during your work placement. You’ll benefit from great job prospects thanks to our strong links with NHS trusts and social care providers.

Visit our health and social care degrees page.

A comprehensive guide to our new physiotherapy course with Mark Dayson

Embark on an exhilarating path with our latest BSc Hons Physiotherapy course. This hands-on, practical course readies you for the clinical realm through immersive practice placements and beyond.

Nursing at the University of Greenwich

Join us and gain the skills for a fulfilling career that makes a real difference. You’ll benefit from our excellent links with health service providers, and you could get extra support of at least £5,000 a year, which you won’t need to pay back.

Visit our nursing degrees page.

Learning Disabilities Nursing Alumna Ashley McCarthy

Ashley McCarthy, our nursing alumna, shares her experience on the Learning Disabilities degree at the University of Greenwich.

Mode of study

Select from the dropdown below.

Course level
UCAS code

Apply now

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study full-time then you apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS).

If you are a UK student or have settled/pre-settled status (EU) and you want to study part-time then you can apply directly via our online application form.

If you are from outside the UK, you can apply via UCAS, directly via our online application form or via one of our in-country representatives. If you require a student visa, you cannot study part-time at undergraduate level.