Student Services

Withdrawal and interruption of studies

Help and guidance available to students on taught programmes of study who are thinking of withdrawing or interrupting from study.

We understand that there may be circumstances when you consider interrupting or withdrawing from your studies.  We are here to support you to understand your circumstances and help you make the right decision for you.

What is interruption of study?

An interruption of study is the formal procedure which allows you to request a break from your studies for the remainder of the current academic year. You will normally be required to return to study at the beginning of the following academic year.

What is withdrawal from study?

If there are circumstances significantly impacting your ability to continue studying on your current programme, then it may be appropriate for you to notify the University that you wish to withdraw from your programme. The decision to withdraw is final and once completed, you cannot be reinstated. Should you wish to return to undertake a programme of study then you will be required to complete the appropriate admissions process. Your reasons for considering withdrawal may be because a break from your studies will not be sufficient because you cannot commit to return in the following academic year.

What support is available?

Personal Tutor: In the first instance, we recommend arranging a meeting with your Personal Tutor to discuss your circumstances. You can also contact your Faculty Retention and Success Officer.

Wellbeing Support: We offer a wide range of wellbeing services, you can find more information here.

Student Finance:  We offer various sources of funding that help to make our programmes accessible, from scholarships to hardship funds. You can find more information here.  We also offer money advice and support which you can find out more about here.

Employability and Careers:  We offer a wide range of services including 121 appointments. To find out more and/or book an appointment visit our Careers hub here.

GSU Advice Service:  The Students' Union Advice Service is independent of the University and offers free and impartial advice. They can advise you on the implication of withdrawing from or interrupting your studies and support you with the process. If you decide to interrupt they can advise you on accommodation implications. During your interruption they can continue to support you in navigating university processes. To get in touch with them, you can complete their contact form here.

International Student Advice Service: For information and advice on the implications an interruption/withdrawal will have on your Student visa and continued stay in the UK, please see our guidance on interruption and withdrawal and study  & impact on your visa After reading the guidance, if you need some immigration advice, you'll see contact details for the team within the guidance.

Next Steps

If you are considering withdrawing or interrupting from your studies you should read the information on the below pages to gain a full understanding of the process, the implications of withdrawal or interruption, and also for sources of advice and support.

Should you decide to interrupt or withdraw you will need to complete the interruption and withdrawal process which is designed to ensure that you are properly supported in your decision.

Withdrawing from studies
Further information on the implications and process of withdrawing from your studies.

Interrupting your studies
Further information on the implications and process of interrupting your studies.

Make a withdrawal or interruption request

Interruption, Withdrawal and Transfer Policy

Information on interruption of studies and withdrawal for postgraduate research students can be found on pages 68 and 71 of the Postgraduate Research Student's & Supervisor's Handbook.