Exam arrangements

Students with a disability, learning difficulty, long-term medical or mental health condition which affects performance in timed exams may be entitled to special arrangements, such as extra time.

Students who believe they may be eligible for exam arrangements, such as extra time, must follow the right steps to ensure this is agreed in advance. Please note that the Student Wellbeing Service are not automatically notified of student exam arrangement eligibility, students must meet with the service.

There are deadlines to apply for exam arrangements. The deadline dates to apply for exam arrangements for Academic Year 2023/2024 are:

For January 2024 Exam Period:

  • September 2023 new starters and continuing students:   Monday 6th November 2023 5pm

For May 2024 Exam Period:

  • January 2024 new starters and continuing students: Monday 12th February 2024 5pm

For July 2024 Resit Exam Period:

  • Monday 3rd June 2024 5pm

It is important that contact is made with us by these dates. Failure to do so may result in exam arrangements not being in place for exams.

Students requiring temporary arrangements due to a temporary condition e.g. broken arm, pregnancy, will need to speak with their faculty examination office.

What you need to do

1. Meet a Student Wellbeing Service Coordinator (Disability & Dyslexia)

If you believe you are eligible, contact the Student Wellbeing Service to arrange a meeting with a Student Wellbeing Service Coordinator (Disability & Dyslexia).

2. Bring us your evidence

Evidence of need will need to be provided before exam arrangement applications can be made. Please email this to the Student Wellbeing Service on  We will review this evidence, check it meets university regulations, and discuss any recommendations with you.

3. Checking your Exam Arrangements

You can track your exam arrangements on the Student Portal to ensure they are correct.

  1. Select 'My Learning' | 'View my student profile'
  2. Select a term
  3. Submit

The record will show what you have applied for and if it is pending (PE), service confirmed (CO), or rejected (REJ). It can take a few days for the record to be updated. If the record is not what you expected, contact the Student Wellbeing Service on

What evidence do you need?

For specific learning difficulties, the following evidence can be accepted:

    • Dyslexia screening undertaken by a Student Wellbeing Service Coordinator (Disability and Dyslexia)
    • JCQ Form 8 from previous educational establishment to show history of need and provision.
    • A full diagnostic assessment report from a Chartered Educational Psychologist or specialist teacher with a recognised dyslexia qualification.
    • A current DSA Study Needs Assessment Report.
    • In the case of students with dyspraxia, a full report from an occupational therapist is also acceptable.

    For other disabilities, the following evidence can be accepted:

    • Assessment report or letter of confirmation from a relevant, independent professional or specialist agency e.g. Education Health Care Plans (EHCP), GP, Medical Consultant, Community Care Assessor, Rehabilitation Officers, Occupational Therapists, RNID, RNIB, or Centre for Independent Living.
    • A current DSA Study Needs Assessment Report.

Your documentation must be relevant to the condition and the arrangement you have requested.

Any recommendations made in the evidence or needs assessment must conform to university examination regulations. We will check this when you meet with the service.

Evidence in languages other than English should be accompanied by a certified translation.

Our policies

Student & Academic Services Examination & Assessment Regulations for Students with Disabilities, Specific Learning Difficulties, Mental Health Difficulties & Long-term Medical Conditions

If there are circumstances beyond your control that may have affected your performance or prevented you attending an exam or submitting coursework, you may be able to claim extenuating circumstances.