Disabled Students' Allowances

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) provide financial support for disabled full-time, part-time, and postgraduate home students.

DSA can pay for additional support that you may require due to your disability, specific learning difficulty, long term medical condition or mental health condition. This may include specialist equipment, specialist one to one study skills support, specialist mentor support or travel.

Overseas / EU / International students are not eligible for DSA. Please speak to the Student Wellbeing Service, as we may still be able to help.

About DSA

For more information about what DSA can pay for, who is eligible, what evidence you will need, how much you can get, and to apply, visit the government ( website.

Please note that this support may not be available to you whilst you are on sandwich placement. You have the option to apply for Access to Work for similar support. You can contact DSA on 0300 100 0607 to find out more about eligibility whilst on placement.

How to apply for DSA

You can apply for DSA at any stage of your course. We recommend you apply as soon as possible before your course begins to get support in place when you start.

Apply online at

Which form should I use?

Complete the full DSA1 form if you are:

  • Applying for Disabled Students' Allowances only
  • A part-time student
  • A postgraduate student
  • A distance-learning student.

Complete the short DSA1 if you've already completed a student finance application (or intend to do so). When you complete your student finance application (PN1) online, select 'Disabled Students' Allowances'. Student Finance England will send you a short version pre-printed with your details.

Nursing, midwifery and other professions allied to medicine

Students on a course funded by the National Health Service (NHS) have DSAs as part of your bursary. You’ll need to send in evidence of your condition. If you are seconded by your employer, you can apply for DSAs from your awarding authority.

Otherwise, you apply for DSA via Student Finance England.

Please note: The application process can be very lengthy. If you are concerned about starting your course without support, speak to your funding authority.

Your assessment of needs

Once you’ve applied for DSA, you’ll need to book a needs assessment appointment. Instructions on how to do this will be on the DSA eligibility letter (DSA1) that you will receive.

During this session, you’ll discuss your individual needs with an assessor and agree what equipment and support you might need to help with your course. You can also try out equipment to see if it may be helpful.

What to take with you

  1. Your DSA eligibility letter (DSA1)
  2. Any reports about your disability and how it affects you (including an educational psychologist report if you have dyslexia).
  3. Any medical reports or letters from your health-care professional.
  4. Details of your course, such as a handbook.

At the end of the assessment, the assessor confirms with you all the equipment and support you will need for your studies.

What happens next?

Written report of recommendations

The assessor produces a report with recommendations for support and prices for any equipment from three suppliers. You can request a draft copy for review.

A final copy then goes to you and the funding authority. Please forward a copy onto your allocated Student Wellbeing Service  Co-ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia) , as this will be used to create or update your Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP).

Decision and notification by funding authority

The final stage of the application process is you receiving the DSA2 entitlement letter. This confirms the support that DSA have agreed to fund and names the suppliers of this support. You will need to make contact with the named suppliers to arrange your support. If you need help with this, please contact your allocated Student Wellbeing Service Co-ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia).

Please forward a copy of your DSA2 entitlement letter onto your allocated Student Wellbeing Service Co-ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia).

Information for DSA Study Needs Assessors

Please note: please ensure you advise students to make contact with Student Wellbeing Service to register and have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) created with reasonable adjustments such as exam arrangements in place. This is not automatic.

Contact details

Student Wellbeing Service, Dreadnought Building D003, University of Greenwich, Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich SE10 9LS

T: 020 8331 7875

Reasonable Adjustments Provided

Disabled students need to register with the Student Wellbeing Service to ensure that evidence of a disability can be confirmed by a Student Wellbeing Service Co-Ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia). Each disabled student will be offered a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) which will outline the appropriate support and adjustments required including exam access arrangements. This is then automatically shared with faculty staff and support services staff on a need to know basis.

Lectures and Seminars

There is lecture capture facility at University of Greenwich.

Captioning is available for all digital recordings including lecture captures.

Supporting materials for lectures are uploaded to Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment, VLE) often in advance of lectures.

Some lecture theatres have induction loops fitted.

If accessibility is an issue then rooms can be changed; students are advised to speak to a Student Wellbeing Service  Co-Ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia) to discuss changes as early as possible.

Assistive Technology

The latest versions of Texthelp Read & Write and Inspiration are licensed across the campus. It is useful if students are recommended these as part of their DSA IT equipment allowance (as appropriate).

Dragon Naturally Speaking can be provided for students that require this as a speech to text exam access arrangement. It is useful if students are recommended this as part of their DSA IT equipment allowance (as appropriate).

Exam Pens are permitted to be used for exams in the place of a human reader. It is useful if students are recommended this as part of their DSA IT equipment allowance (as appropriate).


Disabled students will need to meet with a Student Wellbeing Service Co-Ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia) to make an application for exam access arrangements. This is not automatic.

Disabled students can use their Greenwich Inclusion Plans (GIPs) as evidence to apply for extenuating circumstances claims for additional time for assignments.

NMH Support

University of Greenwich is a DSA registered provider of Specialist One to One Study Skills Support for students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) and autism.

Our hourly rate is £63.00 (no VAT charged).

Recommendations for Bands 1 and 2 support not funded by DSA may be funded by the University of Greenwich. Students will need to meet with a Student Wellbeing Service  Co-Ordinator (Disability & Dyslexia) in advance for discussion and application. This includes one to one orientation support to help with the transition and settling into university.

Designated Taxi Pick Up / Drop Off Points

The University of Greenwich has designated taxi pick up / drop off points at each campus. This is for  disabled students that have a taxi allowance as part of their DSA support package. To request a campus map showing designated taxi pick up / drop off points please email the Student Wellbeing Service