Visas and Immigration for study in the UK

The Skilled Worker Route

If you have a job offer with a UK company, and you need a visa to work in the UK, you may need to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa in order to work in the UK.

Information and guidance workshops on the Skilled Worker visa

The International Student Advice Service is hosting free online workshops to guide international students on the new Skilled Worker visa, the Graduate Route visa and other common work routes in the UK.

Skilled Worker Visa criteria

The Skilled Worker route enables you to work full-time in the UK. To apply, you'll need to have a job offer from company with a sponsor licence, and your employer must provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

To be able to issue you with a CoS, your employer must:

  • Hold a Skilled Worker sponsor licence
  • Offer you a  job at a certain skill level
  • Offer a minimum applicable salary, according to the UKVI guidance. Note that this can vary depending on the occupation

The Skilled Worker route replaced the Tier 2 visa route on 1st December 2020. Guidance on the Skilled Worker route is available on the website.

When to apply for the Skilled Worker visa

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student, you can apply when you have completed your degree programme, or up to three months before your expected completion date.

If you are intending to apply before you complete your studies (or before you have received your transcript or degree certificate), please contact the International Student Advice Service.