Visas and Immigration for study in the UK

CAS for extending your visa

If you are an existing student, to continue your studies you'll need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) to support your Tier 4 visa application.

The information on this page is relevant if you are an existing student, extending your Tier 4 visa to continue on the same programme of study. If you need to apply for a visa for a new programme of study (whether you are applying overseas or in the UK), see our information about CAS for a new programme of study.

When you are beginning to prepare for a Tier 4 visa extension, we strongly recommend that you view our guidance on Tier 4 visa extension applications.

What's in your CAS

A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) is an electronic document issued by the university and sent to you by email. In your CAS statement you will find:

  • Your CAS number
  • Information about your programme of study
  • Information about your tuition fees
  • Confirmation of whether you will need an ATAS certificate

How to get a new CAS

To be able to get your new CAS, you need to complete the following steps:

  1. Check what the financial requirements are for your Tier 4 application
  2. Check what your outstanding tuition fee is for the current academic year. You can check this yourself by logging in to the student portal and going to 'check accounts, make online payment.' (If necessary, you can check your fees with the student finance team or by visiting the Student Centre.)  You will need an accurate figure to be sure that we can process your request for a new CAS
  3. Read the guidance and information about finance documents for your visa application
  4. Check if your programme of study requires you to get an ATAS certificate.  If you need an ATAS certificate you should note that processing time for an ATAS certificate is up to 20 working days. If an ATAS certificate is required, you will need to get one before requesting your CAS (see below)
  5. If you are applying for your new Tier 4 visa overseas, you will need to provide an image of your entry stamp to the Tier 4 Compliance & Advice team to show that you are outside of the UK (see below)
  6. Complete our CAS request form, attach the completed form and your documents and send to:
  7. If possible, use Internet Explorer to complete the form. If using another browser, you may need to download the form first before you can complete it.

    Attach copies to your email of all of the following documents which are relevant to your situation:

  • Bank statement / other finance document
  • Birth certificate and consent letter (if you are using a finance document belonging to parent)
  • ATAS certificate (if relevant)
  • Image of entry stamp in passport (if applying from outside UK)

Once we have received your completed CAS request form and documents, we will aim to issue your CAS within four working days.

If you submit your CAS request form to us without all of the documents required, we will not be able to process your CAS and we will contact you to ask you to resubmit your form once you have all of the documents needed.

After your CAS is issued

We recommend that you check that the information is correct. Also, it's important that the information you put into your Tier 4 visa application form matches the information in your CAS statement. If you need advice about your Tier 4 application, you can contact the International Student Advice Service to discuss.

The information on this page is correct at the time of writing. Whilst we try to make sure the information we provide is accurate, immigration policy changes frequently. You should therefore always refer to the official website to ensure that you have up-to-date information: