There will be times when you'll need a letter to prove that you're fully registered to a programme at the University of Greenwich.

Letters are available to you if you are fully registered with no outstanding holds on your account (such as long outstanding DBS and occupational health clearances, outstanding tuition fees, etc)

Unfortunately, we cannot produce you a letter if you are studying at a partner or network college, you will need to ask your college to provide this for you.

If you are interrupted or withdrawn please email the Student Centre with your student ID number (beginning with 00) for additional information.

What letters are available?

The Student Centre provides four standard letters that can be used for the following purposes:

  • Confirmation of Student Status, used as general proof that you are a student
  • Bank, usually used to support the opening of a student bank account
  • Government Embassy, usually used for applying for visas
  • Council Tax*, used to support a claim for a reduction in council tax 

*Council Tax letters

You will need to meet certain criteria for a letter to support a claim for council tax reduction. Although we are able to provide the supporting letter, whether or not you obtain a reduction in council tax will depend on your individual circumstances.  

We will only issue a council tax letter if you are:

  • studying at one of the three main campuses (Greenwich, Avery Hill and Medway)
  • fully registered
  • living at a UK address (NOT Halls of Residence)
  • on a FULL TIME programme of study (as determined on your student record)

If you have completed your programme within the last 12 months and would have met the criteria for a council tax letter during your studies, we should still be able to produce a letter for you.

If you completed more than 12 months ago, we recommend you obtain a Letter of Confirmation of Study.  

How to request a student letter

At this time please do not come on to campus, but email for guidance on how we can provide evidence to confirm your Student status.

If you are a distance learner or currently on placement and cannot visit a Student Centre, please email us with your student ID number (beginning with 00) for additional guidance.

Please be aware that we are currently not able to issue physical copies of our letters to students.  Please email to request an alternative at this time.