Student Services

What evidence do I need to support my claim?

It's important that you provide as much evidence and information as possible to support your claim. Each claim is considered on its own merits as an individual case. We use the documents you provide to decide if they clearly evidence the impact of your circumstances on your ability to study and/or take assessments.

Your evidence must be current and independent - Staff making the decisions on your claim aren’t able to consider the impact of medical or other information that is not recent on the circumstances that you are claiming for, so your evidence must clearly show how the circumstances affected you at the time that you were preparing for or undertaking the assessment.

Your evidence must be in English or must be accompanied by a certified translation – You’re responsible for getting your evidence independently translated by an accredited translator prior to submission. The Association of Translation Companies has a full list of translators available for you to locate a suitable service (language and price)

Whilst it’s very rare, we are occasionally provided with false evidence. If we suspect this has happened, we may refer the evidence for consideration under the Student Disciplinary Procedure as an attempt to gain an unfair advantage.

Acute Personal/Emotional Circumstances

Documentation that confirms the nature of the circumstances and the likely impact it is having on your ability to undertake formal assessment and/or study, such as:

  • A letter from the Student Wellbeing Service, external counsellor, or statement from a support service. If you would prefer that your circumstances are not seen by anyone, your health care professional can write to the Extenuation Panel confirming that your circumstances should be considered as extenuating.
  • If you have not had an appointment with a member of the Student Wellbeing Service before the date of your EC application, you will need to approach your GP for a letter of support.

Bereavement (the death of a close family member or friend)

Your claim must clearly explain the nature of the relationship between you and the person that has died and how your ability to study has been affected. This is essential where the relationship is not within your immediate family (such as a step grandparent, a cousin) or there’s no family connection (such as the death of a friend).

Evidence can be either:

  • A death certificate, or
  • A letter from an independent professional (not a family member). This letter must contain their contact details and their view on the closeness of your relationship with the deceased, or
  • A statement from the university’s Wellbeing Services where you are registered with the service, or
  • A statement from your personal tutor or other member of staff
  • An obituary or funeral order of service

Claims relating to bereavement will normally be accepted for the term in which the death occurred, however if you consider that you have been affected for longer, additional evidence of the ongoing impact may be required (for example a letter from GP or university counsellor).

Childcare (for exams only)

A letter from a registered childcare provider detailing the circumstances, including reason for the late cancellation or change.

Must be genuinely unforeseen and evidenced, for example booked childcare was cancelled at short notice.

Court attendance in UK (not Jury Service - see below)

If you’re required to attend court as a witness, defendant or plaintiff, you need to provide either:

  • An official correspondence from the court confirming your attendance or
  • A solicitor's letter detailing the nature and dates of the legal proceedings and your requirement to attend.

Crime - being the victim of crime or being investigated by the police

Victim of crime

Depending on the nature of the crime, you need to provide either:

  • A written statement of events supported by written evidence from the police, including a crime number, or
  • A relevant dated insurance claim.

Where the impact of the crime has led to a medical issue, then a letter from an appropriate medical professional, or from the University Counselling Service, is required to confirm the impact the crime has had/is having on your studies.

Being investigated by the police

  • Evidence of a requirement from the Police to engage with them as part of their investigations

Where the accusation of a crime leads to either ill health or other serious impact on you, then a letter from an appropriate medical professional, or from the University Counselling Service, is required to confirm the impact the investigation has had/is having on your studies.

Deployment (military, reserves, voluntary and emergency service workers)

A letter on headed paper describing the deployment including dates.

Domestic disruption

A letter from an appropriate, independent professional or authority describing the relevant circumstances and how they may have impacted on your studies. This only applies to examinations unless the circumstances are exceptionally severe.

Disturbances caused by your housemates are generally considered normal not exceptional, so will not usually be accepted.

Fluctuating mental health and/or long-term medical conditions

You must be registered with the Student Wellbeing Services of the university and have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) which confirms and supports that you have a fluctuating mental health condition and/or long-term medical condition. For more information see Accessing Greenwich Inclusion Plans.


  • A medical letter or certificate from the relevant hospital confirming the nature and severity of your circumstances.
  • The hospital discharge summary

If you’ve been hospitalised at short notice and can’t submit a claim yourself, please contact your personal tutor for help in submitting the claim on your behalf.

Illness, injury or medical treatment - when a family member is affected

A medical certificate or letter from an independent medical professional confirming the nature and severity of the family circumstances and the impact it is having on your ability to undertake your assessment.

This is generally expected to apply to serious injury or illness in a child, sibling, parent, spouse or partner. Consideration of a serious injury or illness in a wider family member (such as grandparent, aunt, uncle etc) or close friend would require evidence to support your role as the primary carer and/or the closeness of the relationship.

Illness, injury or medical treatment - when you are affected

Your evidence should describe your illness, injury or medical treatment and the likely impact it’s having on your ability to prepare for and/or undertake your assessment.

The evidence must state the time and duration of your circumstances and include a clear medical opinion. It can be one or more of:

  • An original medical certificate
  • A letter from an appropriate medical professional
  • A letter from the University Counselling Service – the University Counselling Service can only provide letters for extenuating circumstances claims if you are registered with the service and have received support over a period relevant to your claim.

Please don’t submit images of prescriptions and medication or of body parts (including photos of sustained injuries, x-rays, ultrasound scans, etc.). They can’t be accepted as evidence for a claim and could be distressing for the staff viewing your evidence.

Medical evidence must be obtained from the person, practice or institution that diagnosed or assessed the illness/injury at the time it occurred. Evidence that you reported you were unwell after the event or illness occurred, or which doesn’t include a clear diagnosis, is unlikely to be accepted.

Jury Service

If you are asked to undertake Jury Service, you must make a request to the Court for it to be deferred. It is only if this request is refused that your extenuating circumstances will be considered acceptable.

You will need to provide correspondence from the Court and proof that a deferral has been requested and rejected.

Material irregularity (administrative or procedural error)

A material irregularity is an administrative or procedural error by the university which has a significant, negative impact on your ability to study for or undertake an assessment.

You will need to provide emails and/or screenshots of the irregularity.

Paternity/parental leave

Must be unforeseen – i.e. adoption leave after being informed a child will be placed, or in the event of a premature birth.

  • Evidence of the placement of a child via adoption at short notice, or
  • Birth certificate showing DOB & relationship to student and MAT1B demonstrating the expected week of childbirth (EWC)


If you become pregnant or your partner becomes pregnant, you may need to submit extenuating circumstances claims for appointments. You will need to provide an appointment letter or medical letter.

Helpful advice is in our Pregnancy & Maternity Policy

Representing the university at a national event

A letter of confirmation from the relevant organising body and a supporting statement from you explaining why the event should be considered as significant.

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD)

If you have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) and have a Greenwich Inclusion Plan (GIP) that permits you extra time in exams, you can submit a copy of your GIP as evidence to support a claim for an extension of time to submit coursework. For more information see Accessing Greenwich Inclusion Plans.