IT and Library Services

Reporting a hardware fault

University of Greenwich It and Library Services Reporting a hardware fault

When reporting a hardware fault to the IT Service Desk you will need to supply the following details:

  • Your name and Username
  • The nature of the fault.
  • The location of the equipment.
  • Your contact details.
  • The UG number of the equipment (see below)

Obtaining the UG number

All University of Greenwich hardware (PCs, Monitors, Printers and Laptops etc) should have a UG number sticker. The sticker is blue and silver and is labelled University of Greenwich. The UG number is the number below – for example: "UG12345".

The UG number identifies the hardware. It is absolutely necessary for IT Service Desk staff to have the UG number when dealing with hardware queries.

The IT Service Desk can be contacted on x 7555, or via email at