Interested in becoming a teacher? Teacher training bursaries will cover the cost of your training. Find out if you are eligible.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Primary and Secondary)

Tax-free funding is available for graduates to undertake teacher training in England that leads to the award of qualified teacher status.

The tables below reflect the available scholarships for September 2020.

Bursaries and scholarships to teach mathematics

If you train to teach maths, you could get a £26,000 tax-free bursary or a scholarship worth £28,000.

If you are awarded a bursary or scholarship, you will receive 3 additional early-career payments of £2,000 each (£3,000 for specified areas of England) in their second, third and fourth year of teaching.

Scholarships and bursaries to teach physics, chemistry and languages (French)

ITT subject/phase



Physics, Chemistry, Languages (French)









To receive a bursary or scholarship, you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria or the equivalent in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

If you have a degree from outside the UK, you should refer to the overseas degree equivalency table to see the bursaries available. You can also contact your training provider about your eligibility.

Trainees in physics, chemistry, maths, and languages with a 2:1 or above may apply for a teacher training scholarship with the appropriate professional body. With a 2:2, you'll need significant experience.

Teaching primary level mathematics

Trainees in primary level mathematics with at least a B grade in A-level mathematics (or equivalent) will be eligible for a bursary of £6,000.

School Direct (salaried route)

For trainees on School Direct, the school pays your tuition fees and a salary. The amount depends on your location and subject. Trainees in maths or physics can earn up to £30,000 before deductions. School Direct trainees are not eligible for a bursary or scholarship, but may be able to receive support towards living costs from Student Finance England or another regional provider.

BA Hons Primary Education with QTS

Students on the BA Hons Primary Education with QTS do not qualify for bursaries but may be eligible for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.

Early Years Teacher Status

The type and amount of financial support available depends on your eligibility and your highest relevant qualification.

Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (full-time)

A £7,000 grant is available to cover course fees. There are also bursaries of up to £5,000 for graduates with a first class degree, £4,000 for graduates with a 2:1, and £2,000 for graduates with a 2:2.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (employment)

Funding of £14,000 is available: upto £7,000 for course fees; the remainder for costs incurred by your employer (e.g. supply cover or salary).

Further Education, Life Long Learning (Full Time)

The DfE has announced a new series of incentives for 21/22 for FE initial teacher education:


These are for pre-service trainees and cover the following subjects to be taught:

  • Maths, science, engineering, computing: £26,000
  • SEND: £15,000
  • English: £12,000

The conditions are that the trainee is accepted onto an FE ITE programme (minimum level 5 ie DET, Cert Ed or PGCE) and holds at least a level 3 qualification or appropriate professional experience related to their teaching subject


These are for in-service trainees accepted onto an ITE programme and cover the following subjects to be taught:

  • English, maths & SEND

*they are each worth £18,200 to the employer to cover the cost of the training and the release from teaching.

How bursaries are awarded

We will send you an application form once you have accepted your offer of a place. During registration, we check this together with your degree awards in the Student Centre.

Bursary payments are processed by your chosen teacher training provider. They are released in 10 monthly instalments from October to July, once you are fully registered.

Brexit: information for non-UK EU nationals and EEA citizens

EU nationals applying for teacher training in 2020/21 can still apply for bursaries / scholarships and a tuition fee loan. You must have lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for three years before the course begins. For more information, visit

Disclosure Barring Service

Before your course begins, you must obtain an enhanced disclosure certificate through the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) and complete an Occupational Health Check. Without this, there may be delays to your funding.


If you would like further details about these bursaries, please contact us.

We have more scholarships and bursaries available. See a full list.